Trip to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Trip to Italy

Post by joyse »

Returned from Italy. Visited the village where my great grandfather came from. From Archives now got 5G Grandfather's names and where from. Lucky to get any info from them as most of the records were lost in fire due to Germans bombing the area during WWII.
Met a couple of people with same surname in village but they did not know if related due to families being so large years ago and so many emigrating to England and France. No-one knew of anyone in village having details of family history so rather disappointing.
Scenery amazing, very hairy driving on mountain roads with no barriers! Lovely warm weather. Too hot in Florence though - and too many people!!

Joy
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Trip to Italy

Post by ally »

Joy,

Sounds like you had a great time!! I loved Italy when I went years ago.
Florence was indeed hot, we went end of Sept thru Oct also.

It drove me crazy seeing all of the italians driving sooooo fast on the mountain roads with nothing to the right from keeping you going off the cliff. Scary!!!!!

We are all glad you had a safe trip. Hopefully you took some pictures you can share with us. I never tire of looking at pictures of Italy.

Ally
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hey Joy,

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a good trip and happy you were able to get as many records as you did! Too bad about the family history though...

Yes, driving in Italy certainly is an experience isn't it? Had a couple of strange experiences like that when I was there too.

Like ally said, hope you were able to take lots of pictures and have some to share with us!

Now, forget about the weather...was shopping awesome in Florence???

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome back....... :D
While you may not have gotten all you wanted in way of research, still a
great experience....Nuccia wants shopping details.......I want the details on the food.......I can't wait to go!!! I will surely gain an extra 10 pounds!!!!
wldspirit
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

There were certainly some smart shops in Florence but who wants to 'shop' when you have a husband in tow!!!! I'll save it till I go on my own.

Foodwise - probably went to the wrong places but rather disappointed with the food. Just one hotel had some very nice steak. Pasta served on cold plates does not appeal to me at all.
I didn't put on any weight and hardly saw anyone who was overweight. There has been some statistics out since we came back and the amount of obese Italians is about 8% but Brits are 24%!

I will post up some photos as soon as they are ready. Our digital camera is really old so we only took the 'old type' with films that need developing.

Going to an Italian class on Monday evening - they've already done 4 weeks so I have to see if I can pick it up. 8O

Joy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

joyse,

I agree..shopping with ones husband is not a good idea at all! But at least you got to see some of the shops..

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Syrlena

Post by Syrlena »

I went through the same experience last August when visiting my family's town in Italy. It was wonderful to be in the place they left 150 years ago. The priest of the local "parrochia" was so nice and helpful. Gave us acess to original registers dating back to the 1600's! And I even met a relative still living on the same street my family lived at the time they left.
My only regret was that I could not spend more time there. I had to come back to the US to work. I will certainly go back as soon as I can.
I definitelly felt a great connection to the place and its people!
Also could not believe how italians drive!
Can't wait to go back!
Syrlena