Farina Family, Atina, Frosinone.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jane1961

Re: Farina Family, Atina, Frosinone.

Post by jane1961 »

Thanks to you both!

All I have so far is this:

Domenico Coppola was living in Plymouth, England in our 1901 census, aged 73 (so born around 1828): he died in Plymouth, 1905.

His 2 sons were living with him in 1901: Guiseppe (born1872, Italy), married to Carolina (nee Mella), and Vincenzo (born 1867, Italy) married to Giovanna (maiden name unknown, but 4 years younger than Vincenzo).

Carolina's sister, Elvria (Elvira?) Mella was also living with them. We think the Mella's came from nearer to Rome: some mention of one of her predecessors being an Archbishop (but you know how these stories grow!)

We are doing a first visit this August, staying at Pastena, so hope to explore the area.

Best wishes for Christmas !

Jane
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Jane

I had an opportunity to do some Atina research tonight. Here's what I found:

There was no birth record for Domenico Coppola in the period from 1826 to 1831. You have an estimated year of birth of 1828 for Domenico Coppola, but I think he must have been born just outside of the above period. The films containing the birth records for those years prior and subsequent to the searched period are on back order.

I searched marriage records from 1830 to 1861 and found only one record for the marriage of a Domenico Coppola:

Domenico Coppola, age 26, born in Atina, farmer by profession, son of the late Biase Coppola and Maria Fortunata Bove, married Celeste Delicata, age 27, born in Atina, daughter of the late Luigi Bove and Maria di Troja, on 22 AUG 1858 in Atina. Source: Atina, Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1810-1865 (Salt Lake City: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978-1988), FHL INTL Film 1173838/MATRIMONI/Num. d'ordine 22, 22 AUG 1858.

Unfortunately, the Atina marriage records end with 1861. Therefore, there may have been another marriage for a Domenico Coppola between 1862 and 1867, when your Vincenzo Coppola was born. Perhaps you have or can find some information that can connect your Domenico Coppola to the one married to Celeste Delicata. One interesting note is that one of the witnesses to the marriage record was Fortunato Mella.
John Armellino
jane1961

Post by jane1961 »

Mnay thanks John,

I'll follow through on those ideas: wish me luck!

Regards Jane
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you get to Atina this August ask at the Anagrafe office to see the Registro del Popolazione (it is stored upstairs above the police office next door). These registers are a type of census and have whole families listed. (You can see an example on my website along with photos of Atina) The clerk doesn't speak English and doesn't have much patience for researchers. Get there about 10-30 am and he may take you up to the archives when the office closes to the public at 11am.
Good luck.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jane1961

Post by jane1961 »

Thanks!

We will have to work on our Italian vocabulary, ready to face the clerk!!!

Saw the Atina photos....looks a great place...can't wait to get there

Regards

Jane
Evi

Post by Evi »

Hello John,
I saw your topic even though it's been some years this could be some piece missing in your puzzle.
The following was written by my Dad who lives in Autralia, but my grandmother with the maiden name Farina still lives in Birmingham.
My (maternal) grandfather was Marcus Farina, born in Atina in Italy (about 150km south of Rome). He was brought to England as a baby (around 1897) when his parents went looking for better prospects. They settled in what was then the Italian district of Birmingham. His father eventually emigrated to the US leaving the family behind. His various brothers and sisters married into other Italian families and also moved on. My grandfather himself married an English woman and stayed in Birmingham. They had some 10 children, my mother being #3. 2 of the 10 were twins who died around birth. The two older children have now both died as have my mother’s two brothers (both younger) and one younger sister but there are still two younger sisters left. They share a house in South Wales after both of their husbands have died. They are all in their 80s.
Regards,
Evi
NonnaLou1

Post by NonnaLou1 »

Ciao,
I’m passionate about Atina, in Frosinone. My grandparents came from there and settled in London.
I have started an English speaking Group for people with family connections in ATINA.

It’s called WE LOVE ATINA !!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/62618687824/?fref=ts

Please do feel very welcome to join.

Also, this is my Website about Atina and the Val di Comino:
http://atina.shapcott-family.com

Looking forward to hearing from you
Ciao for now !!!
Louise