The Caenazzo's in Venice

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cranium

The Caenazzo's in Venice

Post by cranium »

Hello everyone - I've been looking at the posts in the forums and am delighted by the help that people are giving each other! Here's hoping some of that luck and help comes my way.
I am trying to research my maternal lineage in Venice. My grandfather was born in Venice and as far as I know his family go back a fair way there.
The surname is Caenazzo and so far this is what I know.
My grandfather - Vittorio Georgo Antonio Caenazzo b 06/10/1903
g-grandfather - Nunziato Caenazzo (c) 1870?
g-g-grandfather - Antonio Caenazzo (c) 1840?

I have photographs of all of the above and a couple of old newspaper clippings. One of Antonio for winning third prize in an exhibition of handcrafted goods - a replica of a gondola. I had this translated "la premiazione alla I Mostra di Arti e Mestieri del Dopolavoro di Venezia - Caenazzo Antonio III premio"
The other of Nunziato which was a donation on his death from the Danieli, Excelsior and Europa hotels in Venice where he was Maitre d'hotel.
"In memoria di NUNZIATO CAENAZZO: Direzione alberghi Danieli ed Excelsior L. 5000, Personale albergo Danieli 5380 & Personale albergo Europa 1250 per Opera naz. Cesarina Astesana; un gruppo di amici dei figli 2600 per l'istituto Orfani dei Patrioti <F. Biancotto>, Soc. Montasu 1500 per l'instituto Mutilitini di Guerra di Don Orione.
Paper dated 24/12/1947

If anyone can give a more detailed translation of the two above passages I will be extremely grateful.
Nunziato is shown in two pictures wearing military uniform - 1917 and 1931 and if there are any military buffs out there I will gladly post the pics to you to see if you can work out the regiment form the uniform. On the 1931 pic there is written M.D.A.T. XII, 320 Batteria.

I look forward to the flood of replies :-)
Cranium
cranium

Re: The Caenazzo's in Venice

Post by cranium »

almost forgot to tell you that we have a coat of arms (ok, you can all stop giggling now - I've read a load of sites about Italian heraldry and how 90% of the people were conned....) and on the back is a supposed description of the family which I have traced to mean the San Severino family of Naples.....I think. At the bottom it says:

This coat of arms and details were taken from the Blatonic Heraldry Vol 2,
page 152

I have looked for "Blatonic Heraldry" on the net but can find no trace of it.

Any ideas?
Cranium