Records of ships leaving the U.S.?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Records of ships leaving the U.S.?

Post by Poipuo4 »

Do they keep records of ships that left the U.S. to return to Italy? I have a suspicion that my great grandfather returned to Italy sometime around 1912 from New York. Would there be any records that would substantiate his departure? It appears that the Ellis Island records are all arrivals.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Records of ships leaving the U.S.?

Post by nuccia »

Unfortunately there are no online records of any such departures that I know of.

Do you believe he left for Italy permanently or just for a visit and then returned? If he returned, then we may be able to find a return manifest for him on ancestry. You would just need to provide us with his info (name, birthyear, etc).
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Records of ships leaving the U.S.?

Post by Poipuo4 »

No, I think he left for good. I had posted about him earlier on this forum (Guiseppe Insarda from Feroleto). Everyone was very helpful. We were able to find his Ellis Island manifest and also a 1910 census (under the name Guispeppe Ingarda). The family lure is that he left the US and died in Italy after his wife died in 1911. I searched the NY death index just to be sure that he did not stay and die in NY. If there was an index for departures from the US that would have helped figure out what happened to him.