Trying to find Leo/Ciancio relatives of my ggrprnts-san fili

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Trying to find Leo/Ciancio relatives of my ggrprnts-san

Post by Cathynap »

ooops! :oops: Sorry Biff...we must have posted at the same time.
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crono »

i live in carpino, near cagnano varano...and i know leo family
annizoe

Post by annizoe »

I am twirleygrl...had to jump thru hoops to reregister and create a new email acct to do it! Anyway, I made leaps and bounds since posting last (can't believe it's been this long,) and was able to find extensive records at LDS for the towns of Rende and San Fili. Although I do not read or speak Italian my smattering of Spanish really did help!

Concetta "Mary" Ciancio is the daughter of Antonio Ciancio of San Fili and Maria Teresa Chiappetta of Rende, she is the granddaughter of Giuseppe Ciancio of San Fili and Carmina Ciancio, as well as the grand daughter of Michele Chiappetta and Maria De Buono of Rende. Maria De Buono is the daughter of Guiseppe DeBuono and Anna Russo of Rende. The names of Guiseppe and Anna were found almost by accident when scrolling thru the records. I paused while rolling thru the hundreds of records and just happened to look down to see Maria DeBuono's death cert from Rende in 1903...of course it stated her parents names...it was like she wanted to be found!

Guiseppe "Joseph: Leo was the son of Raffaele Lio of San Fili and Pasqualina Rende of Delta Luogo and the grandson of Antonio Lio...haven't gotten any further on Guiseppe, but ALL IN ALL, I think I did pretty well.

I did take random bmd photos of other's in the scroll with similar surnames in Rende and San Fili between the time period of 1850-1910.

Thanks for all of your help...andrea.
annizoe

Post by annizoe »

Crono, is there a possiblitiy that the leo/lio family you know shares a relation with Guiseppe Lio b. 1883, his father Rafaelle b. abt 1835 or his grandfather Antonio b. unknown died before 1884? Looks like all were born and had lived in Rende except for Antonio who is noted on his grandson's marriage cert as living in USA and deceased wife was from Rende. I am told that Raffaele had been to USA several times and even spent some time in the midwest and family rumor was that he had spent some time in jail from stealing from an american indian (although I have no idea whether or not that is true!)

Guiseppe Lio had two siblings that I know the names of: Maria "Mary" Lio-Monaco (who also came to the usa around the time that Guiseppe did, and perhaps a Michaele. There were other siblings that I have no names for. I have contacted a descendant of Mary and even have a picture of her and her mother Pasqualina. I was told that Raffaele had a long white beard, had tattoos and earrings and resembled a pirate.
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crono »

i try to ask him but....

Cagnano Varano
or
Cagnano Amiterno?

however Leo is diffused in Salento, south of Puglia (Apulia):

http://maps.google.it/maps?q=lecce&hl=it&t=h&z=10

also in Milan...for immigration

use this site to search other Leo family in Italy:
http://gratis.massimol.it/diffusione-cognome.php
Richieboy50

Post by Richieboy50 »

I HAVE A MICHAEL CHIAPPETTA 1909-1993 WHO HAD A SISTER JOSEPHINE 1908-1996 SHE MARRIED PETER CIANCIO 1905-? AND THEY HAD SIX CHILDREN, DIANA,IRENE,JOAN,LINDA,MICHAEL AND PHYLLIS. MICHAEL AND JOSEPHINE HAD EIGHT OTHER BROTHERS AND SISTERS. DOES ANY OF THIS RELATE TO YOU?
rciancio

Post by rciancio »

Hi, not sure I can help. My mother's maiden name was Lio and my fathers name is Ciancio both raised and married in San Fili.