Dilluvio/Delisi family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
madelinetice

Re: Dilluvio/Delisi family

Post by madelinetice »

my grandfather, Joseph Dilluvio - barber was listed. Madeline
SD555

Post by SD555 »

I believe I have a lot of information to share with the Dilluvio families. We may be the "lost uncle Salvatore" line that someone mentioned in a post. Salvatore Dilluvio changed the spelling to DiLuvio thinking it made the American pronuciation easier. My husband's dad was his son...Settimo but HE changed his name in elementary school because he didn't like the name Settimo and changed it to Salvatore DiLuvio. They moved to the Bronx later. I am sorry that there have been no posts in recent years. If you all are still out there, let me know and I will share info. There is a lot of NEWLY available Borgetto records that were not published until recent years.
SD555

Post by SD555 »

Reading your posts in more detail, I think we may be the line of the Salvatore sibling you mentioned. Hope we can connect and communicate. The spelling was changed to DiLuvio with a cap. L. My husband's middle name is Salvatore and our grandson is Salvatore... ha...the Salvatore's live on. All of the names you mention are falling into place. I think we can help each other. Yes, Borgetto is now filmed and in the LDS library. Oh... Sam or Sammy was used for many years by an ancestor. I think it may be a common American name for Salvatore...maybe? And Settimo...that would make sense for him to be a sibling of our Salvatore because his son was named Settimo (but changed to Salvatore when he was a little boy.)
SD555

Post by SD555 »

Join Ancestry.com. There is one extensive Dilluvio Family Tree there which connects to my line several generations back and another smaller tree that is directly mine. I will be posting mine as soon as I get a chance. And, as posted above, there is now a lot to be found on the Borgetto records of the LDS library. Our spelling was changed by Salvatore (birth name might have been Settimo) to DiLuvio but a generation back, it is Dilluvio.
acerulli

Post by acerulli »

Hello Dilluvio/Delisi family member,

I came across your post entirely by accident after looking for old photos of Borgetto where my mother came from. Her name is Marianna Franzone and Dilluvio is her mother's maiden name. I have recently been trying to piece together our family tree and she told me my grandmother's (Guiseppina Dilluvio)father's name was Salvatore Dilluvio. They lived in Manhattan around 61st Street and 1st Avenue in the 1920's. I wonder if my great grandfather was brother's with your grandfather. There is a "famous" family story that my grandfather (Joseph Franzone) who's mother's name Marianna maiden name was also Dilluvio, "kidnapped" my 15 year old grandmother in 1925 (they were 1st or 2nd cousins) for three days. After they were found at a friend's house and incarcerated, my grandmother denied that my grandfather took her against her will so that he would not be charged. To keep the family honor, my great grandfather, Salvatore let my grandmother stay in the police station holding cell for two or three days before picking her up. Needless to say they were married shortly thereafter. I am told that it was in the newspaper at the time, so I would like to find the article if possible.
Regards,
Andrew Cerulli
SD555

Post by SD555 »

The places and dates put them in the right places. I have pictures of Salvatore Dilluvio and wife Antonina Palermo and children Salvatore (possibly Settimo), Rosaline, and Andrew. My new computer isn't talking to my scanner so I might not get them posted on Ancestry within the next few weeks. (Sigh...upgrading computers can be a challenge...) I have no doubt this is the same family. We will have to work on this and see if they are cousins or the actual family line. I wonder how you send private email on this system?
SD555

Post by SD555 »

I have been told that the street right off Main Street in Borgetto is named DILLUVIO. There are still related people in Borgetto. A relative gave me snap shots from about 1950 of relatives outside their Borgetto residence. Drats...I can't find those snap shots but will eventually. OF course, those folks have passed away by now but it would be interesting to know and communicate with people on the family tree.
SD555

Post by SD555 »

My email address is sd555@ktis.net. Would like to communicate with you. My scanner still is not working because my husband is working so many hours he can't get it done. But, I have a lot of info and some pictures already scanned.
Marbacca

Post by Marbacca »

Hi there,

I know you posted a long time ago about this but I recently discovered my Dilluvio family connection and was just in Borgetto, Sicily. I actually have a picture of the street in Borgetto named after the Dilluvio family and the church they were all baptized in. Did you get to find anything on the family when you were there? I am related through Settimo's sister Antonina. Someone on Ancestry.com has traced the Dilluvio side back to the 1700's. If you still are researching and would like to collaborate or if you would just like some of the pictures I took, you can email me at Marbacca@yahoo.com.

Ciao!

Marissa