Yuffrida or Juffrida - searching for.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Michelle123

Yuffrida or Juffrida - searching for.

Post by Michelle123 »

Searching for family name either Yuffrida or Juffrida. Place of origin is belived to be either S. Piertro or Gavia. My grandfather was Dominic, came to the US in 1923 and left behind a wife Laura. Manifest has the name Juffrida but he used Yuffrida here in the US.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Yuffrida or Juffrida - searching for.

Post by nuccia »

For reference, is this your Dominic...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Domenico Juffrida
Name: Domenico Juffrida
Estimated birth year: abt 1900
1 Sep 1923
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Tuscania
Search Ship Database: View the Tuscania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 25
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_3361
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s pietro
Page Number: 224

Source Citation: Year: 1923; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_3361; Line: 25; .

Domenic 1923 Manifest Page 1

Page 2

Social Security Death Index
about Dominic Yuffrida
Name: Dominic Yuffrida
SSN: xxx-xx-9769
Last Residence: 19007 Bristol, Bucks, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Born: 24 Jun 1900
Died: Apr 1982
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951 )
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Michelle123

Post by Michelle123 »

Yes, I belive that is him, I also found that manifest not long ago. I'm searching for any possible family in Italy. My birth name is also Yuffrida. Thank you for your help and support.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The Italian white pages show:
Juffrida Domenico
88025 San Pietro A Maida (CZ) - Via Leningrado, 40
tel +39 0968 79181
Michelle123

Post by Michelle123 »

Thank you. If I send a letter, how do I address it properly? My grandfathers life has always been a mystery. He died in 1982 here in Pennsylvania, USA. He was a shoemaker in Italy. My father and Aunts seem to know nothing about him. My father seems to think that he came from Gavia. Is Gavia near S. Pietro? On his manifest he was from S. Pietro. He left a wife behind and remarried here. Nobody knew of a first wife until he died. Why leave italy and spell your last name with a Y instead of J ? which is correct, Y or J ?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

More than likely, Juffrida is the correct spelling. Your grandfather is not the first to leave a family behind and start another in the US. Nor is he the fir to change his name. This was a relatively simple change..spelled the way it sounded.

You can address the letter as..

Juffrida Domenico
Via Leningrado, 40
88025 San Pietro A Maida (CZ)
Italia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Domenico's manifest shows he was from San Pietro but there are several San Pietro's in Italy so unless I missed something, you need to identify which one he is from.

From familysearch.org:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... prePARTOF=

Maybe you should consider ordering his Social Security Application form and see what he has listed on that. If filled out correctly, it should identify the place of birth and even parents names and maybe offer other clues before you proceed to research Italian records. I would also see who this cousin Domenico Iulle is that he was going to see. Does the name sound familiar to you?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Michelle123

Post by Michelle123 »

I'll look into getting a copy of his social security application. This Dominic Iulle listed as his cousin is not known to us. We know of no relatives. All we knew is that my grandfather came here alone. I just found that manifest last week, and was suprised. I'm sure its him because we knew his birth year, that he came here in his early 20s, and a shoemaker (he brought his leather-sewing machine and things with him).
carlino

Post by carlino »

Hi. I am very sure that your grandfather came from the town of "S.Pietro A Maida" in the province of Catanzaro (CZ) in the region of Calabria. I believe I may have even met his first wife (Laura) when I was visiting there as a boy; as I remember, she lived near my grandmother. I believe she has sinced passed away though. Laura had a daughter, Angela. I think the name was spelled "Euffrida" there, although I'm not absolutely sure I remember the spelling correctly. It was pronounced "eh-oo-FREE-dah" (stress on middle syllable), or also "yew-FREE-dah" when said quickly.
Chelle61

Post by Chelle61 »

Thanks Carlino! can you recall any other information? I think a family member did say something about an Angelina. The family must have kept alot of secrets. Michelle
carlino

Post by carlino »

Hi Michelle:

I remember meeting Laura because she was a school mate of my grandmother, so they were friendly. The last time I remember seeing her there was in the 80s, so I'm sure she's passed away (as has my grandmother). In fact, I think her daughter passed away too, because I didn't see that family the last time I went a few years back. I think I remember that Laura's maiden name was "Grillo". I remembered the "Euffrida" because that was her daughter's maiden name. I also think I remembered a story about Laura's husband going to america and then they never heard from him again.
P.S.: In my experience the letter "Y" is almost never used in italian names, and "J" is also somewhat rare. When you see a "J" in Italy, it usually has the sound of our "Y", but that same sound can often be produced by "I" or "E" in combination with another vowel. I thought I remembered the spelling in S. Pietro A Maida as "Euffrida", but it could also be "Iuffrida". When he entered the country, he would have pronounced his name as either "Ay-yoo-free-dah" or "Ee-yoo-free-dah"; that's how it was pronounced in S. Pietro A Maida. The agent composing the manifest might have then written it starting with "Y". That's my guess about the spelling evolution (to "Y" or "J"). So, anyway, you might also search for Iuffrida and Euffrida in S.Pietro A Maida.
Chelle61

Post by Chelle61 »

Carlo, I was able to get marraige information for my Grandfather. His name was Dominico Iuffrida, married Laura Caterine Patrizia Grillo in 1920. He was born and lived in San Pietro a Maida so I'm guessing Laura was also. Now I will try to find Iuffrida and Grillo people.
Michelle
carlino

Post by carlino »

Hi. Just came around to looking at this again on an otherwise boring day. Did you end up finding out about your families?