Sordo, Iozzio, De Marco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Marcelle

Sordo, Iozzio, De Marco

Post by Marcelle »

Sordo, Iozzio, De Marco
Does anyone know anyone with these names.
Our grandparents names were, Assunta Sordo, Rocco Sordo
Marie De Marco, Concezio De Marco, Giavanni Iozzio and wife?.
If anyone has any information or leads I would love to here them.
Thanks in advance.
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sordo, Iozzio, De Marco

Post by mjones »

Is this a possible relative? Did your family immigrate to the United States and if so when?

Name: Assunta Sordo
SSN: 143-07-1360
Last Residence: 07522 Paterson, Passaic, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 21 May 1898
Died: Aug 1986
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951 )

Merjones
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

Here is a World War I Draft Registration:

Name: Giovanni Iozzio
City: Chicago
County: Cook
State: Illinois
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 25 Dec 1887
Race: White

Can you give us more details. Birth dates, where they were from in Italy, sibling names etc.

Merjones
Marcelle

Post by Marcelle »

Hi,
Yes Assunta Sordo was my fathers Grandmother on his mother's side I never new Giavanni but I would go and visit Assunta on weekends until she passed. I am working on getting more information from my father. My grandmother Phyllis Iozzio isn't much help. I do know she had a brother who died in I think 1991 in Benton, Ohio. His name was Armando Herman Sordo. He had at least 1 daughter I knew of. Not sure how to spell her name but it sounds like Linvia. Please let me know if you have anymore information. I am also looking for family remaining in Italy. I look forward to hearing from you.

After talking to my father, we are not sure if this Giavanni Iozzio is the same one. He thinks he also lived in New Jersey.

Marcie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

OK...

In order to help you, we need more specific information.

You need to specify who is related to whom...specifically.

1. Rocco Sordo and Assunta Sordo....do you have her maiden name? According to the 1920 census, he was born about 1894, she about 1900. Both lived in NJ. What are the name of their children? What is the line of descent to you...the name of your grandmother, specifically, not your father's grandmother. Whom did she marry?

2. There are a couple of John Iozzia/Iozio listed in different census data. One was born about 1870, one around 1888. Both came from Santa Croce Carmeina in Ragusa Province in Sicily. But not sure which is your ancestor. What is the line of descent between your Giovanni and you. Very specifically. Then maybe we can give you the correct information. What town did these people live in? Hackensack? Did he have a brother named Frank? If so, his father was a Salvatore Iozzia. If not, well need more info for sure!

3. De Marco is a very common name. This one in particular needs more information. The first name you listed for the DeMarco is not a usual name so we need to be very specific about the children of this family, where they lived, if you know Maria's maiden name, etc. Then how the children relate to your father or to you. Otherwise, we cannot separate the correct family from the rest.

You can only move from provable fact, back up the line. You know those connections but we do not. You have to simply explain the relationships that are known to you to all these people so we can pick up the thread. Then we can move backwards back to Italy.

Let us know and we will continue to investigate the origins for you.
Marcelle

Post by Marcelle »

Thank you for responding.

Rocco Sordo and Assunta Sordo were married. Rocco was born in Italy in 1892 and immigrated to the US in 1907. I don't know when he married Assunta. Assuntas surname is Marcotullio but the spelling could be different. She was born in 1898 and died 1986. They had 2 children I know of. Armondo Herman Sordo who lived most of his life in Oregan. He passed away in 1991. The other was a daughter (my grandmother) Phyllis Sordo born in 1924 and is still living.
Phyllis married Salvatore Iozzio born 1917 died 1995.
They had 3 children, Lawrence Iozzio 1943-1995,
Ronald Phillip Iozzio 1947 (my father), and Roberta (Changed name to Michelle)Iozzio born in 1964.
Salvatore Iozzio's father was Giovanni Iozzio and his wife was Martha Gariota-Iozzio. They had 4 children I know of, Jennie, Katherine, Rose and my grandfather Salvatore.

The De Marco side is my husbands family. Born Oct. 12, 1907 Concezio De Marco (Di Marco on his shipping paperwork) came to America on Sept 4, 1925 on the Patria which left Naples, Italy. I am not sure how he met his wife Marie Cancelino-De Marco. She was born in 1917 and died 1996.
They had 4 children I Knew of. JoAnn, Jennie, John and Anthony.
Anthony is my husbands father. They only other information I have was that when Concezio came over he was going to stay with his uncle. Nicola Ascenzo who lived in Haskell, New Jersey. I don't know anything about him or his family.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Looks like Rocco came from Digliano, Chieti, Abruzzo. WWI registrations lists that as his town of birth and DOB being 16 Dec 1892.

Believe Assunta arrived on the Dante Alegheri on Dec 8, 1917 with her mother, Giovanna. Giovanna was 48, a widow and left daughter, Lucia back in Altamura. Giovanna's maiden name was Moromarco. Assunta was 17 and her maiden name was Marroccoli. Giovanna returned to Italy. Later on, on 5 Mar 1929, Giovanna Moromarco enters Ellis Island again, this time with son Giuseppe Marroccoli. She is on her way to Brooklyn and daughter, Maria, and both left Lucia in Altamura as closest relative in the place they left.

John Iozzio is listed in the census of 1930 as John Izzo, age 36, married at 24, and arrived in 1903. He is a natuaralized citizen. His wife listed as Rose, age 33, married at 21, arrived 1905. Salvatore, age 11, born NJ, Grace, age 8, born NJ, Antonetta, age 9, born NJ and Rosa, age 7.

Hope this is correct...these are all very difficult to find in the census for some reason. Cannot find Rocco.......

Very late here, will look for more tomorrow and hopefully others will join in!

Have a good one.
Marcelle

Post by Marcelle »

Thank you soooo much

I will talk to my father to see if this information sounds familiar.

I believe Assunta's information may be correct but not sure about John Iozzio.

After speaking to my Grandmother, Phyllis, she remembers his wife being Martha Gariota. But then again she isn't 100% sure. She may be guessing. So later on today I will as my father.

Thank you again. This means alot to me to have someone help. It is so difficult to find information from so long ago.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Bear in mind that his wife could be name Maria Rosa....almost all Italian women had the name Maria, either as a first name itself, or as part of a series of names they went by..like a name like Mary Jane where both names are used together. Some were like Mary Elizabeth, where the child was called Elizabeth, Betsey, etc. Partly because all the women in the family had "Maria" as part of their name.

In my family, all the girls ranged from Maria, Maria Filomena, Maria Domenica, Maria Leonarda. Maria Filomena went by Filomena, but Maria Leonarda called by both names. And Maria...she went by the name "Cora" in the US...yet I have no proof as to why.

So, let us assume for the moment, that the name of Rose was Maria Rosa... We need to continue to check this out.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

There is a Maria Cancelino that was born about 1917 in the 1930 census of Herkimer, NY. She was born in NY, to Nicholas and wife Giacomina. Nicholas was the son of Pasquale. Other children were Victor, Yolanda, and Ruth.

Does this sound familiar?
Marcelle

Post by Marcelle »

Just called my In-Laws.
Maria Concelino may have been my father in laws mother. Not sure if that is her father or not. According to my mother in law she had siblings that were not related. as well as Half brothers that were twins, Sal and Rocky De Menna. They only one she knew of be a blood relative was
Joseph Cancelino who lived most of his live in Haskell, New Jersey.
The other thing is they would have called Maria's mother Jennie Moffa. Would that be short for Giacomina? She also just told me she had a brother Michael Moffa
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ok.....
You need to do some research that involves some records. Cemetery records or death records will help with some of the names. In addition, many of these people will have obituaries and these can reveal a bit of info about parents, siblings, children.

Events that occur after 1930...1930 being the last census that is available...are hard to find on the internet as of yet. So your best sources for events that occurred after 1930 are death records, marriage records, obits, and phone conversations with people who lived through the event.

But you must ask the same questions to everyone so make sure you write it all down. On of the things I found very useful is the registry from the funeral of a relative. Since most people sign their own names, often give you the correct spelling as they used it. Sometimes their addresses are listed. Just reading the list might lead you to others with information...they could be cousins, in-laws, life-long friends.....all this helps. Ask your grandmother where your grandfather's register is...no doubt she saved it. You might be surprised at what you find.

Back later when I find more....Oh and Giacomina or Giacoma could well be translated as Jenny.
Marcelle

Post by Marcelle »

Thank you
My mother-in-law is just about the only one who can help me on my husbands side. They are probably the eldest living. She does have some certificates of some type and will try and find them.

On my fathers side, we are making a trip to the cemetery tomorrow, Wed.
I want to take photos of the grave sites and see what else I can find. But I don't know if everyone was buried around here. I don't think my grandmother will take time to find the certificates for me to look at. She still gets upset when thinking about them.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Marcelle.......

When you go to the cemetery, go to the cemetery office. As for all who are buried in the same plot. Ask who owned the plot. Then ask if anyone else with the same name is buried in the cemetery.

Not all markers will list everyone buried there. Some couldn't afford stones. So make the trip to the office......ans see what you can find.
Marcelle

Post by Marcelle »

Went to the cemetery Wed. Not much more information then we already knew. My father contacted my grandmothers, brothers, daughter who lives in OR. She is very eager to help us in any way she can.
Just waiting to hear from them.