Some useful genealogy links

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Some useful genealogy links

Post by Poipuo4 »

I just attended a convention this weekend and have some interesting links for you. They are not Italian specific.

www.dohistory.org (about writing family histories)

www.forensicgenealogy.info (fun site with info. on identifying old photos)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Some useful genealogy links

Post by wldspirit »

Both informative sites...thanks for sharing!!! :)
Especially the photographs.......I have one on what can only be described as some type of hard cardboard....... :? Maybe now I can at least place the era!!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Lisa, from what I have learned about pictures (which happens to be one of my favorite parts of genealogy) the pictures on cardboard were from the late 1800's to the early 1900's (say the 1890's-1910ish). Hope that helped.

Mike
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I have to look at my notes when I go home but they did mention in the lecture the year that cardboard was invented. She also said that if you have a big box of pictures that are unkown, start by putting them all face down. She said that ones with crinkly edges can fit together vertically like a jigsaw puzzle. If you can determine that pics were from the same roll of film, it could be helpful. Also, in the early days, they would mark the back of each roll with pencil so if you match the marks you could put together pics from the same roll as well.