Demarco (Crolla UK/Scotland)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Merano

Demarco (Crolla UK/Scotland)

Post by Merano »

We're doing our family history and have discovered this interesting forum. We are interested in a particular Crolla family (even though there are lots of them!), We'd like to find info regarding Maria Carmella Crolla, born in London 1877, and whose parents names were Antonio Crolla and Antonia Chuicc ?? (originating from Picinisco area).

Maria Carmella married Giovanni (John) DeMarco (or other spelling). They had two children (?) - Maria Justina (married in Manchester to a man surname Iseppe) and son called Luigi who we think lived his life in Edinburgh. It's possible Maria Carmella Crolla lived in Manchester and moved to Scotland running either ice cream or fish and chip shops.

Can anyone help! Grazie!
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Demarco (Crolla UK/Scotland)

Post by mjones »

Do you suppose this man is related to your Luigi? Ice Cream Confectioner!

Name: Luigi Dimarco
Estimated birth year: abt 1844
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Maria Saenza
Where born: Foruger Subj, Italy
Registration Number: 685/2
Registration district: St Andrew
Civil parish: Edinburgh St James
County: Midlothian
Address: 112 Leith St

Merjones
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Merano
There is still a business in Edinburgh run by the family 'Crolla'
It's not Fish and Chips, they sell all kinds of italian food and the business is very famous. One of the family Mary Contini has written books about the family history and there are photographs etc in it too. I have these books and have read them because my husbands family knew Victor Crolla who used to deliver pasta etc many years ago to our family. The shop they have now is in the same area of Edinburgh although now its much bigger the interesting thing is there is a family chart at the front of her book One of the enrties states that Michele Crolla married Filomena Demarco one of their children was Giovanni. There is also a Maria Crolla listed.
Some of the family were born in England. If you think this is the family you are looking for I'll send you some more information

ps they did come from the Picinisco area of Italy
God Bless
Emmy
Merano

Post by Merano »

Thanks for replying to me. merjones - thanks for that info. Emmy - I have heard of the Crolla delicatessan family you mention, but we don't think there is a connection, as we've seen that particular family tree on another website. Yes, they were from Picinisco area! I think we need to keep digging!

Regards
Merano
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

Merano:

Found this in the 1891 Census of England:

Name: Carmel Crolla
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Relation: Daughter
Father's name: Anthony
Mother's name: Margaret
Where born: London, England

Civil parish: Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: Lancashire

See this image of the census page:

merjones
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

Merano:

Here is John Demarco in 1891 Census of England:

Name: John Demarco
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Relation: Nephew
Where born: Italy

Civil parish: Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
Town: Salford
County/Island: Lancashire

Same Civil Parish as Maria Carmella Crolla.

merjones
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

Here are the other household members in the census with John Demarco:

Name Age
Carmine Arcari 45
Dominic Arcari 26
Maria Arcari 25
Caroline Crolla 31
Michael Angelo Crolla 37
Anna Demarco 39
John Demarco 18
Lawrence Demarco 64
Cristino Maschio 24
Henry Maschio 12
Paul Maschio 8

It's interesting that John Demarco resides with some CROLLA family members. Maybe that's how they originally met. Also, two of these people were also Ice Cream vendors.

merjones
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

lots demarco crolla arcari links and info and pictures here..................

http://www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/
if yer no fast yer last !!!
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

(Sorry Merano for butting in on your thread)

Hi daddymuzza
That was a fantastic link you posted do you happen to know if there is a similar link for the Italians who came to Glasgow in the 1890's or where information could be found. My grandfather was an ice-cream vendour/confectioner in Glasgow about that time but that is all I know. (I'm posting a new thread -Italians in Glasgow 1890's- so if you have any information would you please post any answers there - that way we wont muddle up Merano's post)
Thanks
Emmy
Merano

Post by Merano »

Thanks merjones - what else can I say. The info you've found looks great and gives us loads to work with. Ti ringrazio.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
tina97

Post by tina97 »

Hi not sure if you got the PM I sent a few wks ago,but anyway I just wanted to let you know I've just received Maria Carmella's half brother Bernards marriage certificate to a Mary Foster on 23/10/1907.Bernards fathers name Antonio Crolla(Ice Cream Dealer)...
Witnesses:The mark of Angelo Lucarelli&Carmela Crolla

This shows Carmela could not have been married by 1907 otherwise it would have stated her married name.This is also proof that Bernard shares the same father as Carmela&that also her real name is Carmela&not Maria Carmanella&all the other variations I've seen posted on boards.I'm still none the wiser of Carmela's mothers name.If anybody could shed any light on this I would appreciate it very much thanks.

I have information on the rest of Antonio's family.He had an older brother Michael Angelo Crolla who was married to Cordnia&2 younger brothers Iwan&Merit&1 sister May.His mother was Juanita born 1833&she was a widow.I have no Idea what his father was called or when he died..any information on him again would be much appreciated.They were all born Naples& lived at 9,Lee Street in Manchester with Carmanella age 4 born London&while Antonio still lived alone at 11,Fleetrow Holburn London in 1881&he was single at that time.You probably know the rest that Antonio came back to Manchester collected his daughter from Michaels&he Married Belfast born Margaret.They lived at 41 Cotton Street& went on to have Thresa,Bernard(my grandad),Joseph&Philimina.Antonio changed his name to Anthony,they later moved to a Confectioners/bakery on George Street *see 1901 census,&Carmela&Thresa had left home.In 1904 Anthony&Margaret moved to Liverpool&boarded the boat to Ellis Island with just Philimina aged 11yrs&I also have records of them settling in Pennsylvania.

I'm still trying to trace what happened to the rest of the family after they had left home.I have Bernard&Mary's address in Manchester on the wedding certificate 1907,but have no idea what happened to Carmela,Thresa&Joseph.Does anybody know the witness Angelo Lucarelli?

I'm not sure where to go from here..still awaiting Bernards birth certificate&might search for index to Antonio's marriage to Margaret nxt.
Please could you let me know if you have any further progress on Carmela or any of her family,I would be really gratefull of anything at all, :D thankyou ...Santina Crolla
tina97

Post by tina97 »

[quote="Merano"]We're doing our family history and have discovered this interesting forum. We are interested in a particular Crolla family (even though there are lots of them!), We'd like to find info regarding Maria Carmella Crolla, born in London 1877, and whose parents names were Antonio Crolla and Antonia Chuicc ?? (originating from Picinisco area).

Hi Merano, Antonio Crolla was my great grandad&Bernard was my grandad&Carmels half sister..Antonio Crolla was married twice in London as to which I'm going to upload one of his marriage certificates which might interest you.The first marriage was to Chiara Antonelli in Holborn Middlesex 1876&the second was Donata Marino in Holborn Middlesex 1881 who sadly died in 1890 leaving Antonio free to marry my great grandmother Margaret J &both lived at 41 Cotton St Ancoates Manchester.
On both Chiara&Donata's marriage certificates Antonio Crolla's father is named as Beniamino[Benjamino] Crolla.

Can I ask you where you got your information on Carmels mother?
If you got it from a census,is it possible it could have read surname first 'Antonelli Chiara' instead of 'Antonia Chiucc' ..?

I would take a look at the certificate if I were you because unless Antonio Crolla born 1857 had an affair shortly after marriage the chances are Chiara Antonelli is the mother of Carmel[Carmanella] Crolla born London 1877.

I tried uploading the certificate to this site with no joy,if you would like a copy post me your email& I will gladly send it to you.The only other way I could get it on this site would be via my webspace :roll: I'm sure I've been here before on this forum lol... upload your files..yeh right!
Please let me know what you think,thankyou ..regards Santina Crolla :wink:
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

What wonderful information and connections! This is terrific!
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stuartcapaldi »

Merano

Hello I am new to this site.

However information that I have about De Marco at 112 Leith Street Edinburgh in the 1901 census is Luigi De Marco as mentioned but also his son Alexander (anglicised name?) and daughter Maria Civita De Marco.

In 1905 Maria Civita De Marco married Paola Coppola, High Streeet Arbroath they had several children Yolande, Veronica Teresa, Margherita Bendetta Leonora, Alfredo Michaelangelo, Achille Felippe, Adriano & Claudio Benito. they were all born in either Arbroath or Edinburgh in the Leith Street Area.

Maria Civita died in 1946 at Western Corner, Saughtonhall, Edinburgh living above the cafe that Yolande Coppola ran. her son Adriano signed the certificate her parents were Luigi De Marco and Nascenza Faccenda.

Claudio Coppola owned a chip shop in Morningside Road Edinburgh next to the "Canny Man" pub

In 1906 my grandfather, Achille Capaldi, was also living at 112 Leith Street and was married there and Alexander De Marco was his "Best Man" and witness to the marriage.

My father always said to me that the Coppolas were cousins but I still do not know the link and if it was through the De Marco's

My grandfather came from the village of San Giuseppe in the commune of Picinisco. His mother was Angela Maria Fusco from Valle Grande in the commune of Villa Latina.

Please note that 112 Leith Street no longer exists. It was a tenement building and 112 would have had several flats/apartments and thus numerous families living there.

There are numerous Crollas in Edinburgh and if you visit Picinisco or Villa Latina it would not be unusual to see vehicles with Edinburgh registration plates.
Stuart Capaldi