I'm searching Basso Petti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lost_in_the_Genealogy

I'm searching Basso Petti

Post by Lost_in_the_Genealogy »

Hi,
I’m writing from Italy and I’m searching my great-grandfather.
He arrived in Ellis Island - New York in the 1912. He was a mine workers and he dead in 1920 in a mine accident. The Insurance payed same money to my great-grandmother and to my grandfather.
I cannot know anymore.
I’d like to know where is buried in USA (probably in New York).
Please, can someone help me to know more?
His name was Basso Petti and he was born in Termoli-CB-Italy in 1885.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: I'm searching Basso Petti

Post by suanj »

ciao, dall'ufficio di stato civile di termoli sei riuscito a conoscere la data esatta di morte? Il suo atto di morte deve essere registrato come anche la località dove è accaduta la disgrazia... non sembra trovarsi nel censimento del 1920.... ciao suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

for reference:
Basso Petti, possible US records

1912 manifest
page 2
special inquiry page

possible 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
in Newark (part of Arcadia), Wayne County, NY

January 1920 census for Lumbruzo? from WWI Card
same street address as WWI Card
(Newark Village in town of Arcadia)

may help:
Wayne County, NY GenWeb
Lost_in_the_Genealogy

suanj wrote:ciao, dall'ufficio di stato civile di termoli sei riuscito a conoscere la data esatta di morte? Il suo atto di morte deve essere registrato come anche la località dove è accaduta la disgrazia... non sembra trovarsi nel censimento del 1920.... ciao suanj
Grazie della risposta. Non sapevo che nel certificato di morte in Italia fosse riportato anche il luogo del decesso. Controllerò.
Pesnso inoltre che VJ nel post successivo abbia trovato tracce del mio bisnonno
Ciao
Lost_in_the_Genealogy

vj wrote:for reference:
Basso Petti, possible US records
1912 manifest
page 2
special inquiry page
possible 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
in Newark (part of Arcadia), Wayne County, NY
may help:
Wayne County, NY GenWeb
Thank you for the answer.
The records of Ellis Island are surely of my great granfather.
I already knew the first two pages.
I didn't knew the special inquiry
The WWI draft registration card maybe is of my great grandfather, but I'm not sure.
Where can I obtain a copy from the original?
Where can I obtain information about military pesonell durring the WWI?
Thank you again and sorry for my bad english
Giovanni Petti
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Giovanni, Valerie found the WWI draft card.. I believe correct... no many people in USA have the first name Basso; you know that is a particular first name of our town( I'm in Termoli also) so I believe correct; the birthyear don't match very well but is possibly right.... if died abt in 1920 I believe possible to find the death record.... maybe we can look up this:
1920 United States Federal Census
Census
View Image Name: Theodore Lumbrazo
Spouse: Cora
Birth: abt 1891 - location
Arrival: year
Residence: 1920 - city, Wayne, New York

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

1920 United States Federal Census
Census
View Image Name: Theodore Lumbrazo
Spouse: Cora
Birth: abt 1891 - location
Arrival: year
Residence: 1920 - city, Wayne, New York

Hi!
Is this the census?
Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Valarie, thanks a lot... Basso is no in the census, but sure he was in good friendship with this Theodore and him family.... if in 1917 Basso was in Newark, and in the 1920 abt, he died, we must search in this 3 year the death record... I don't know much abt Newark and area... it are the mine.... kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lost_in_the_Genealogy

Dear Vj and dear Suanj,
To me it’s difficult to write a long post in english, but i’ll try.
I’ve already knew the records of passengers in Ellis Island – New York.
He's surely my great-grandfather. Emilia Natale - wife – is wrongly reported as the nearest relative. But it’s only a little mistake. Her real name was Emilia De Natale.
Also the other informations correspond to my anchestor.

I didn’t knew the record of the special inquiry. He was held in Ellis Island for 2 days for LPC cert (??).

I’m not sure but, with a little resonable little doubt, I thing the WWI Draft card concernes my great-grandfather for 3 reasons:
1)The first name Basso is very unusual one in Italy. In English means low. It’s used only for men born in the city of Termoli (CB) and for they descendant. Families Petti are very few in Termoli in the beginnings of the XX century. On my opinion in 1918 an immigrant named Basso Petti can came only from Termoli. The other families Petti didn’t need to go in the USA to find a better life. Only my great- gradfather need that.
2)The fisical description correpond among Passengers list recods, the WWI Draft Card and the member of my family.
3)The signature is impressively similar to the signature of my father. When I saw it, I dropped on my chair. I thinked my father signed a document in 1918, while he was born in 1934. After a while I noted a difference in letter “Pâ€
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

nell'elenco telefonico del 1927 di Newark non c'è( nemmeno Lombroso) quindi deve essere morto tra il settembre 1918 e Gennaio 1920, perchè nel 1920 census con Theodore Lombroso( o simile) non c'è...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Giovanni,
I found a government website that lets you search or browse for mining accidents by state. US Mining Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) There were none listed for 1920 in New York. Is it possible Basso was elsewhere? The search function allows you to specify first name or last name and many options. Still no Basso. I will try looking for a non-mining accident site.

I received an e-mail from the Wayne County Historian and will answer it: He says he cannot find a Lumbrazo in Newark, yet vj found him, so I will inform him. Also he had no record of Wayne Wheel Works. but I found a reference in the local paper archive to Wayne County Wheel Works expanding on Murray Street through Ask search engine, though when I got there the full reference was not present.

I'll still keep looking. The librarian who has relatives in Newark says she will ask relatives about Basso, T. Lumbrazo, the wheel works and mines,

Dave
Lost_in_the_Genealogy

daveferro wrote:Giovanni,
I found a government website that lets you search or browse for mining accidents by state. I will try looking for a non-mining accident site.

but I found a reference in the local paper archive to Wayne County Wheel Works expanding on Murray Street through Ask search engine, though when I got there the full reference was not present.
I appreciate the great help received in this forum. I'm thankful to Vj, Suanj and daveferro.

I was able to find many information about Theodore Lumbrazo's family. To many for my research.
I identified three generations of Theodore's descendants and I've found the courrent addresses of many of them. None lives in Wayne Ct today.
I'm sending them a letter. Maybe someone can says me something about my ancestor.
Theodore had 10 sons. 2 of them lived in the some house with Basso and are still living.
Since there aren't trace of my ancestor dead in a mine accident, it is possible he wasn't dead in a mine accident, but he changed his nome. Maybe to start a new family.

Other information about Wayne wheel works are welcome
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Giovanni,

While looking for someone's relative in the Mine Safety records, the search failed even though the person knew the place, year and mine. It turned out they had Americanized the name, so I had to browse the files and find the most likely. This was verified by another site and by her.

In other words, your great grandfather might still be in the database but under an Americanized version, like the one you posted about in his Draft/Alien Registration Card, as Petts. I could not find anything under that name or Basso by the search function. Now to look through all the records in any NY accidents.

Also check for his friend. Anything from vj or suanji? They really are the experts at getting these things.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

daveferro wrote:Giovanni,

While looking for someone's relative in the Mine Safety records, the search failed even though the person knew the place, year and mine. It turned out they had Americanized the name, so I had to browse the files and find the most likely. This was verified by another site and by her.

In other words, your great grandfather might still be in the database but under an Americanized version, like the one you posted about in his Draft/Alien Registration Card, as Petts. I could not find anything under that name or Basso by the search function. Now to look through all the records in any NY accidents.

Also check for his friend. Anything from vj or suanji? They really are the experts at getting these things.

Dave
Hi Dave, it is a big problem... no records.. I found only a :

Name: Bazzo Burtis
[Bazzo Bustio]

Home in 1920: Gallitzin, Cambria, Pennsylvania

Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1913
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

Bustio surname is mistaken so much.. no other record abt this person in 1930 census .. the age and immigration year match in some way... was a railroad laborer.. but it is impossible to say something... abt Basso Petti no other records... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Suanji,

Thank you for responding and trying to help Giovanni. I don't understand, however, the last post in relation to Basso Petti.

Did you notice in the special inquiry page (1912pettiwk0.jpg), the last entry which is (Basso's) the surname is printed after the first name, unlike the other people, and the name is spelled Barso. I wonder if they did not mistake the first and surnames.

Anyway, it is correct in the draft/alien registration, and it is signed by him. I thought aliens were not drafted then, but perhaps not. They have been here before the draft was ended not long ago. They didn't have civil rights here but could be sent off to fight.

Perhaps the next thing is to contact Albany Records or go to Newark. Those towns in Wayne County were established when the Erie Canal was built.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally