Ellis Island

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Ellis Island

Post by Last »

Hi, the sorry that has been told goes like this...

My maternal grandfather came to America before his wife and two children. I have researched this and found this to be true.

When my maternal grandmother arrived with her twp children in New York March 20, 1920 on the ship Italia the story goes that my grandfather was not there to pick them up. He arrived late. Is there a holding area for those that were waiting to be picked up, if so was there any records of that?
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island

Post by Biff83 »

There might be a detainee list as well as the ship manifest. If you can post the passenger name particulars, we can try to find for you.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I had the same situation with one of my relatives. The Ellis Island site did not show the detainee list, but I found it on Ancestry.com. They displayed both the origial manifest and the detainee list. The husband showed up within hours and the family was released. I like to think he was there and just couldn't get through the paperword in time. Imagine coming all that way with little children and having no one to meet you!!!!

I admire the courage of those Italian women who made that journey alone.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hi, my grandmother is listed on the ship manifest line 10 as Gioacchina DeSpirito and came from San Giorgio Italy arrived at Ellis Island on March 20, 1920 on the ship Italia.

She came to America with her two sons also listed on the manifest as
Giuseppe Mirra line 11, and Carmine Mirra line 12.

Let me know if additional information is needed.

Thank you :) :)
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

This was a common practice at Ellis Island. Women travelling alone or with children needed a man to pick them up as proof that they would not be a burden on society. Sometimes the manifest will label them held as an LPC "likely public charge." Sometimes it could take a few days for arrangements to be made for the man to come. The manifest may also show how many meals they had when they were detained.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I just took a look. It looks like G. DeSpirito was actually marked down as being detained due to illness but then was released later that day. It also looks like one meal was served to each of them (3 meals in all).
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Last,
Here's the detainee page. Looks like your grandmother might have been ill but they were not detained long.
DeSpirito/Mirra Detainee List

BTW, I'm originally from Carbondale PA.

Biff
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hi Biff, thanks for the info, how could I get a copy of what you sent to me, when I print it out I only get part of it.

Carbondale if not that far from me. I live in a little town near Old Forge. Did you ever hear of Old Forge?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Last,

If you save it to a CD, you might be able to have it printed at a Kinko's or a similar walk in store.

Yep, I sure do know Old Forge. Are you from Taylor, Moosic, Pittston, Dupont, Avoca, Duryea? You must be pretty close to the Anthracite Museum and Mine Tour. I always make a trip there when I'm home visiting. I left the area in 1974 and have lived in New York and Florida the past 33 years but NE PA was, is and always will be home. The greatest people on the earth live there.

Biff
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hi Biff, live in Duryea since 79 West Pittston pre that. The people that have lived here most of there lives are great, we are starting to see a rise in crime due to implants from other parts of the world. Have you been watching the news about Hazleton? My family came to America and had to learn how to speak English. Now I am being told to press 1. We are making it to easy. I am glad my grandparents took the chance and had the courage to come to America. Again thank you for the info on my grandmother. Do you understand the notes that were made, I can see she was ill, but cant understand the other makrings.

Thanks for you help. :D
Chuck
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Chuck.
10-4 on the area changing and not for the better. Carbondale's had its problems over the past 15 years or so as well.

Here's a link which will help you interpret the manifest markings. Make sure you check the columns at the top of the detainee page. Hope this helps.
Detainee Manifest Markings

Biff
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

:D Hi Biff, the piza from Old Fore is to die for, isn't it??? :D

I have opten thought about how many of us are trying to locate information on our families. We look for documents pictures etc. I know I am not the only one that ever thought about this, but many of us must still have relatives living in Italy. What better source of information tha those that live there. I know that I must have living relatives on both side of my family but have no clue how to reach them. Is there a way we could try to contact them to ask for there help in obtaing information and to connect with them as they are part of our family? :D
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Chuck.
Here's a link to the Pagine Bianche (the Italian White Pages). In the Cognome (surname) field type in the last name. In the Dove (where) field type in the town name. Then hit the red Cerca (search). You'll get a listing of names, addresses and phone numbers of potential relatives in Italy in that town.
Pagine Bianche

And here's a site that will help you write a letter in Italian to potential relatives.
Relative Letter

Here's how to address the envelope:
Giovanni Epifano---NAME
Via Garibaldi, n. 23---STREET ADDRESS
88040 San Mango d'Aquino (CZ)--CAP CODE, CITY NAME, PROVINCE
ITALY--COUNTRY

Thought you'd appreciate this.
Scranton Dictionary Page

Biff
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Biff, I likeed the Scranton info, those saying are right on. :)

How do you like my attempt to write to Italy about my Parente relatives. Feel free to correct me.

Ciao,

My name is Charles Parente, Jr..
Il mio nome e' Charles Parente, Jr.

I live in Duryea, Pennsylvania USA.
Abito a Duryea Pennsylvania STATI UNITI.

My Alessandro Parente, was born in Montefusco and migrated to the USA in 1902.
Mio nonno si chiamava Alessandro Parente , e' nato a Cicagna ed emigrato negli Stati Uniti nel 1902.

I am trying to contact my relatives still living in Montefusco.
Vorrei mettermi in contatto con qualche mio Parente ancora residente a Montefusco.

I do not know which of the Parentes living in Montefusco are related to me.
Non saprei dire se sono imparentato con qualcuno che porta il cognome Parente residente a Montefusco.

I am writing to those Parentes with the same given name as my father or grandfather or great grandfather.
Mi rivolgo a chiunque porti il cognome Parente ed abbia lo stesso nome di battesimo di mio padre o di mio nonno o bisnonno.

My grandfather, Alessandro Parente, was born circa 1879 in Montefuscio.
Mio nonno, Alessandro Parente, e' nato nel 1879 (circa) a Montefusco.

My great-grandfather, Giovanni Parente, was born about nato il 29 ottobre 1848.
Mio bisnonno, Giovanni Parente, e' nato all'incirca nel nato il 29 ottobre 1848'.

My grandmother was Giuseppa Serino and she was born in Calvi San Nazzaro, Benevento.
Mia nonna si chiamava Giuseppa Serino, anche lei nata a Calvi San Nazzaro Benevento e' nato nel marzo 1884.

My great grandmothers were
Le mie bisnonne si chiamavano Anastasia Camerlengo

If you think we may be related I would be very grateful to receive a letter from you.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

How do you like my attempt to write to Italy about my Parente relatives. Feel free to correct me.
Chuck