Giannadrea in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MichaelSackman

Giannadrea in Italy

Post by MichaelSackman »

Hi All,

I am new to all this forum thing so please excuse me if I make any etiquette blunders.

I would be grateful if anyone can help me trace any Italian side ancestry of my grandparents who came to the UK from Italy in approx 1902. My grandfather was Michele Giannadrea/Giannadreia (spelt both ways on various family documents in UK) born 1876. My grandmothers's maiden name was Pasqua Lanni born 188o and I believe she was from Cervaro in the Frosinone province of Lazio but I am not sure if grandfather was from there. One of my cousins has tried writing to the mayor of Cervaro and I have tried emailing, neither of us has received a reply. Can any one help us move to the next step?

Thanks.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Giannadrea in Italy

Post by JohnArmellino »

Your surname may have been originally spelled Giannandrea [sometimes Iannandrea]. There are concentrations of Giannandrea in Marche, Abruzzo, Puglia, and Rome. However, there is also a small concentration in Lazio, in the immediate vicinity of Cervaro. Go to http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html and type in Giannandrea to see a surname distribution map. Interestingly, according to this site there are a small number of Giannadrea in the same vicinity.

It seems to me that it would be worth the trouble to order several films from the LDS to determine if your grandparents were from Cervaro. The civil records have been filmed for the years 1810-1944, so you should be able to find the appropriate birth and/or marriage records. Go to www.familysearch.org then Library>FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch and type in Cervaro. You can then view the records available. At this same site, you can also find the nearest Family History Center, where you will be able to rent and view the films.
John Armellino
MichaelSackman

Post by MichaelSackman »

Hi John and thanks,
We had considered this alternative spelling but had dropped it because my eldest aunt Antonia, unfortunately now deceased, who was born in Italy before my granparents came over obtained a copy of her Italian birth certificate in 1922 and it was spelt Giannadrea. However with the extra leads you have advised me of, I will investigate again.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Just a thought - the spelling of a surname sometimes changes through time. From the 18th century to the 20th century, your surname may have evolved, for example, from Iannandrea to Giannandrea to Giannadrea. A search of the civil records, especially the processetti should tell the tale. One of my surnames evolved from Locato to Allocati, another from della Cameli to Licameli. An unrelated surname in Campobasso evolved from Celardo to Gerardi and then back again to Celardo. It can be confusing, to say the least.
John Armellino
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

I have head the name Gianandrea in Alberta and I believe they are from the Campobasso region, you might want to check that out too. If I come across anything I will let you know.
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.