Much Needed Help in My Search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Much Needed Help in My Search

Post by BillieDeKid »

I've been trying to research my mothers family. I keep hitting a wall (from everyone) when it comes to my grandfather. Here is the information I know.

My mother was Elizabeth Mangiardi
My grandfather was Domenico Mangiardi - born about 1890 - came through Ellis Island in 1909 - lived in NY and RI for a while. Was married in Italy to Maria Concetta Tedeschi - she was with child when my grandfather left and came to the US.
My grandfather was from either Brognaturo or Spadola as was my grandmother.
My grandmother and uncle Nicola Mangiardi came through Ellis Island in 1920 or 1921 and met up with my grandfather who was living in Mineral Point Wisconsin. That is where my grandparents, mother, aunt and uncle are all buried now.

I've talked on the phone with a cousin in Spadola on my grandmothers side, but when I ask questions about my grandfather everyone gets very quiet, and tells me they know nothing about his family. Even my mother, aunt and uncle didn't know much.

I know my grandfathers mothers name was Teresa and that his father either died, left or divorced Teresa and she remarried someone else. She had children with this other man and this man treated my grandfather very bad so he left or got kicked out very young.

I'd like to find out who my grandfather's dad was and what is mothers last name was. Also, who his mother married (my grandfathers step dad). I know they had children so my grandfather had half brothers and possibly half sisters too.

I've had friends that went to Brognaturo and checked the church records, they were lost in a flood years and years ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this was too long.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Much Needed Help in My Search

Post by peggymckee »

Hi

From your local Family History Center you can get
Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910 Brognaturo (Catanzaro) and
Registri dello stato civile, 1810-1910 Spadola (Catanzaro)
on microfilm.

Hopefully the microfilms were made before the flood. Also I have read that in Italy almost always there are two sets of records, church & civil. So maybe the civil records are still intact even though the church records were destroyed.

Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Can you tell us when and where your grandfather died?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks you for your quick responses.

First - Peggy - My daughter and I were at LDS center on Saturday and the films should be here in a few weeks. Hope to get some information from the civil records that were kept.

Second - Denman - My grandfather died at the Veterans Hospital in Madison Wisconsin on February 22, 1959 (just before midnight) - I was born just after midnight on February 23, 1959. I was the only grandchild he didn't get to see. He lived in Mineral Point, Wisconsin, but because Mineral Point had no hospitals he had to go to Madison. He died from stomach cancer.

Hope this helps
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The marriage record will list the parents name.....you should be able to locate that document within the film.......
As for a death certificate, depending on who provided the information and how much they knew, the record may or may not list the parents name,
but it is worth sending for.....
Also check for local parish records.......when becoming a member of a church, having children baptized ect., specific information was given as to where that person was born, baptized ect............
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thank you wild spirit. I'll try getting the information from the church in Mineral Point. Didn't even think of that.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Also, if they lived long enough to apply for a social security card, and the application was properly filled out, this to may list the parents and town of birth.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
krmmpgh2003

Post by krmmpgh2003 »

Hi there, (cuz) :D I just got on this site. My family and I r going to brognatura next year. So I thought I would see if I could get info on grdpa Nick. I read your page and couldn't believe my eyes!!! I hope u r having luck finding our hx. I will stay in touch and give u info as I find out anything. Btw this is Bob and Marys dtr-- the older one :-) :D