Alia family name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Alia family name

Post by lynnef »

My grandmother's surname was Alia. (I don't believe Alia is the shortened form of another name, but I could be wrong). She was born in Calabria in April of 1909 and emigrated to the United states through Ellis Island around 1915. I do know she had at least one brother (Joseph) and one sister (Carmela). I know nothing of her parents.

I am new to this site (this is my first post) and was looking to find others who may have a similar family (sur)name or anyone who may be familiar with the Alia name and can provide some information. Thanks. :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Alia family name

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!
Have you located ship manifest for the members of this family?
You may find further clues listed there such as one of the parents name as a relative in the country from whence they came!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

Lynne:

What is your grandmother's first name?

Also, when looking at the "Alia" name on the Stephen Morse website it appears that they came from the same general area in Sicily.

Are you certain about the Calabria connection?

merjones
FERRI - PROVENZANO - GUADAGNI - MARINESI - LARUSSA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

The Alia emigrated from Calabria, for large part, coming from, Roccella Ionica, Sellia, Caulonia, Mottafollone, Amantea, Siderno, Bovalino, Cutro, Marano Marchesato towns.. as merjones asking, it is better to know the first name also... thank you, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

mjones wrote:Lynne:

What is your grandmother's first name?

Also, when looking at the "Alia" name on the Stephen Morse website it appears that they came from the same general area in Sicily.

Are you certain about the Calabria connection?

merjones
Merjones,

My grandmother's first name was Teresa. (It may have also been spelled Theresa).

I may have to get in touch with my mother (she was one of eight children), as well as my aunts and uncles, to find out if they have more specific information on my grandmother...their mother. They may also have some old photos of her.

Could you give me the Stephen Morse website address? I'd like to check that out. :)
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

suanj wrote:The Alia emigrated from Calabria, for large part, coming from, Roccella Ionica, Sellia, Caulonia, Mottafollone, Amantea, Siderno, Bovalino, Cutro, Marano Marchesato towns.. as merjones asking, it is better to know the first name also... thank you, suanj
Thanks for the information, suanj. My grandmother's first name was T(h)eresa. :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The link as shown below, using the "gold form",

http://stevemorse.org/

wldspirit :wink:

lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

wldspirit wrote:Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!
Have you located ship manifest for the members of this family?
You may find further clues listed there such as one of the parents name as a relative in the country from whence they came!!
wldspirit
Thank you, wldspirit. I will check that out. Would I go to the Ellis Island website for that information? I am unsure of my great grandparents' first or last names (not sure if the last name was also Alia or if it was the shortened form of a longer name). :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hmmm.. this a problem.. on the ship's manifest are the complete surname, maybe mistaken, but always complete.... why you think that the last name( the child surname is always the same of father ! especially on the ship's manifest; the list of immigrants it was made by passports also...) could be shortened...?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using the gold form above, which has more search options than does the Ellis Island search engine and is not as restrictive in the search results,
enter as much info as you do know of your immigrant ancestor......this will bring up a results page........you still need to register for the Ellis Island site, but that is free to join.

If you would like further research help, provide as much info as you do have.........any and all details will help.
Names, spouse, children, state in which they lived, birthdates or year, dates of death............

Some prefer to do the search for themselves.......joy of discovery!!!
But we are here to help if needed.
wldspirit

lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

suanj wrote:hmmm.. this a problem.. on the ship's manifest are the complete surname, maybe mistaken, but always complete.... why you think that the last name( the child surname is always the same of father ! especially on the ship's manifest; the list of immigrants it was made by passports also...) could be shortened...?
suanj
suanj, I'm not questioning the manifest...I'm just thinking out loud (sorry)! As I mentioned, I'm new to all of this; and I'm so very interested in finding out as much as I can about my Italian heritage. I recently attended a family reunion a few weeks back, which has since really sparked my interest in learning more about my Italian side of the family. Any and all help is much appreciated. :) (I did briefly check the stephen morse website provided by wldspirit, but I'm not having much luck). :?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well: you no need of ship's manifest for to descover the italian birthplace of your ancestor.. ok, I don't will search it... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

suanj wrote:well: you no need of ship's manifest for to descover the italian birthplace of your ancestor.. ok, I don't will search it... suanj
Thank you. I look forward to hearing what you're able to find. In the meantime, I've sent an e-mail out to my grandmother's sons and daughters to see if they can provide me with any other information, as well. :)
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

I was on another website and found the ship manifest and names of my grandmother (Teresa), her mother (Giovanna Sozzia), her father (Luciano), her sisters (Salvatrice and Lucia), and her brothers (Giuseppe and Silvestro). I knew my grandmother had two sisters and one brother, but this shows she had another brother (Silvestro), which I find interesting as I don't remember my relatives ever mentioning his name before.

The ship manifest was the SS Duca D'Aosta, which sailed from Napoli. It arrived in NY on or around Oct. 4, 1919. It states my grandmother's family's last residence as S. Croce. Does anyone have any info on this town? I've never heard of it.

My aunts and uncles (my grandmother's children) had told me that my grandmother was born in 1909 but, according to the manifest, she was six when she arrived in America, which means she was born in 1913. I'll need to also check this out.

I'm so excited to have found this! If anyone has any other information, please let me know. :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This is a great search engine for determining town names,
you have the options of begin with, contains or exact name.
http://www.landfinder.it/townfinder.asp ... INGLESE&p=
wldspirit