Gaetano Cuda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ricky1016

Gaetano Cuda

Post by Ricky1016 »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone new the English equivilant to the Italian name "Gaetano." I was looking for my ancestor, Gaetano Cuda, in the census records and I can't seem to locate him, in fact, I only found records on 1 Gaetano. I was wondering if there was and English version he could have maybe went by...

Thanks!!

Ricky
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Gaetano Cuda

Post by misbris »

Gaetano is also a last name. Have you tried checking to see if his name was listed backwards? Census records are often inaccurate. Just a thought.
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

His name was listed on his father's passenger records...like it listed all the kids, and he was born in 1899 and it said he lived in Pittsburgh, PA (that info. was recorded in 1917)
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

LMAO!! The Pittsburgh Italians are the bestest liars :) Trust me I know!!

Try looking for his father. Try looking for just the last name. My Aluise's are in Sharpsburg (Suburb of Pittsburgh) and One changed his name from Pasquale Aluise to Charles Fair (to get a better job with the railroad, which he did) My great grandfather changed his name from Vincenzo Aluise to James, the other brothers all american-ized their names.

Oh and then you have the whole Aluise vs. Aloise. In America it is Aluise but on most of the ship records and in Italy (I think) it is Aloise..... So

Maybe you can look up Pittsburgh census's for the are he lived in and then go from there. Look to see if any first names are similar or something?? AND ALWAYS look at the census record even if you do not think it could be him. Like they have said the internet versions of the census's are not always correct. I have found names that are not spelled correctly AT ALL!!

Don't give up hope. the people here are amazing and if anyone can help you they can!!

What was his fathers name?? I found a Earnest Cuda (born 1898) in Pittsburgh in 1930. He was in the Hospital. Can you get onto Ancestry.com?
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Guy Cuda registered for WWI in 1918. Born July 4, 1900. Sister: Tresa (probably Teresa) Senek.

Joseph Domenico Cuda registered for WWI in ???. Born March 5, 1898. I do not know what relation this person is but contact is Theresa Cuda "Some last name" Can't read it.

Both of these guys are in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh).

Good luck!!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I was wondering if anyone new the English
equivilant to the Italian name "Gaetano."

Staci4 had one: Guy
also
Tom & Thomas

pretty good Italian/English first name site
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

Found him!! Thank you all so much for your help!! And that IS him on the darft card, one of his sister's listed on the naturalization papers was "Tressa!"
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

GREAT!!