question regarding duplicate birth certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

question regarding duplicate birth certificates

Post by littleapple »

Hi everyone,
I have been researching my family in Bonefro and finally am digging through the records from the family.org center (LDS).
I have found 2 records for my great grandfather Gennaro Maucieri, 1865 and 1866 the dates for each are very different, the first being January and the second being september. I am assuming the first baby died and they then named the second baby the same name.

I know my own grandmother did this with her sons, she had at least one that died and another that is my uncle named Michele. Does this make sense.

Gennaro was the son of Matteo who is the son of Gennaro so I am assuming it was very important to pass down the name. However I then found two records in different years for a sibling Maria Michela, would they do this with a daughter too?

I have been very excited because for the longest time we only knew of Gennaro, I have now found at least the one sister and one brother Giuseppe Antonio. I have just begun the quest so I just wondered if anyone else had an opinion on the duplicates?

Thank you all for you help so far this is a very exciting process when you uncover information.
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: question regarding duplicate birth certificates

Post by misbris »

Yes,

It was done in my family with a daughter. There was a record of an infant, Giovanini who I thought was my father's cousin. However I knew that Nina, the cousin was born in the US. Turns out the infant died, and the next girl was given the same name. Confused me for a long while.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

misbris is correct. It was done with most children.

Since you are reviewing the films from the LDS Melina, you should notice that the child may have been stillborn (which would be noted on the birth act.) or living. If the infant was living, you may be lucky and have death records on the same film (I'm sorry, I don't know which ones you have so I'm giving a possibility here) and if so, you can confirm the death date of the first infant.

I did this with several of my records..nice to have all the sources you can, right?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Your right Nuccia, it wasn't stillborn that I can tell, so I will check the death records, they are not on the same film but I have 6 to go through and the center has very limited summer hours so I have to wait to get back.
I am hoping I can get in there next wednesday to do some more digging and then I have to leave it for almost 2 weeks, yikes that is going to be hard.
Melina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well Melina, the good news is that because you know the year and months of both children's birth, you can narrow down the death date..Just look at the index for the year and it should give you the reference..shouldn't be too bad. :wink:

It does stink about the limited hours though. I go through the same thing here. I've decided now that I will only go once a week and always on the same day (unless i need something specific). Otherwise, it was too much running around for me.

Keep us posted and if you have any other questions, just ask. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Thanks Nuccia, I appreciate the help. I do have another frustrating search, my great grandfather's sister AnnaMaria born in 1883 and died in 1964 came to the US at some point it was believed with Gennaro her older brother. She married Giovanni Tavone and they had I believe 6 children in Rhode Island, I have all the current info on their family but I can't find the passenger record for her coming to the US, I have searched every type of alteration of maucieri possible, I have found many others but nothing of Anna Maria, I then tried it as Tavone in case she was already married and nothing. If anyone has ideas or has come across info please let me know.

I believe I saw some info on the census for her andher husband and the kids. I just have to dig that out again.

But the ellis island record would be great. Another one is my grandfathers half brother Egidio Lalli, Julius he came to the US with Gennaro after 1909 as my grandfather remembers his brother leaving with his dad and then only the father came back, Julius stayed in the US. We are connected to the family and have all the current info but again I can't find the passenger list for them.
any way, on we go.
Melina
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1909 Manifest for Anna Maucieri (indexed as Anna Mancini), 2 page mainifest

LIne 2, Anna Maucieri
Year of birth about 1880
Last residence and place of birth Bonefro
Destination Providence RI to join husband Giovanni Tavone at 328 ? Ave
Note, she is travelling with niece Nicola Maria Manzo on line 1

1909 Manifest
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff!
Nice manifest find :D .
Valarie

Here's the click here Special Inquiry page
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Is this one of the other missing manifests?
1910 Maucieri
page 2
9 Feb 1910 SS Hamburg Naples to NY
Line 7
Gennaro Manneri (Maucieri) 43 (abt 1866)
- married
- last residence Bonefro
- wife M Giovanna in Bonefro
- destination Providence, RI
- in Pittsburgh 1902 1908
- joining brother-in-law Giovanni Tavone at 11 Del? St
- born in Bonefro
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

VJ
Thank you I don't believe I have that one in my Ellis Island file, I will add it. but I believe he must have come again with his stepson Edgidio Lalli, in 1910 my grandfather would have been a year old and he remembered his half brother who left with his dad to go to the US so i believe it had to be around 1912 o1913, I am thinking before the first ww,

The other info is right on, as Maria Giovanna was his second wife, my grandfather's mother.her first husband was Giuseppe Lalli and he died in 1904. I believe she married my great grandfather in 1907 or 1908 and then my grandfather was born in 1909.

I will now investigate the info Biff found too, I am amazed as I didn't find any of that thank you so much.
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

[quote="Biff83"]1909 Manifest for Anna Maucieri (indexed as Anna Mancini), 2 page mainifest

LIne 2, Anna Maucieri
Year of birth about 1880
Last residence and place of birth Bonefro
Destination Providence RI to join husband Giovanni Tavone at 328 ? Ave
Note, she is travelling with niece Nicola Maria Manzo on line 1

Thank you this is totally correct however I will have to show my Dad and tell him that she went with someone else. It says she had never been before so she must have been married in Italy and then moved once her husband was settled in the US. Mom and Dad are going to Rhode Island latter this fall maybe they can get some more info for me.
Thank you for your help and the records, I have added it to my file.
Melina
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Here's the Special Inquiry page[/quote]

Is there a way to view the special inquiry page in aonther format, it is hard to see as the link, where did you locate this? I have never seen it before and am not sure how to go to it.

Thank you for your help.
Melina :wink:
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Melina, I'll take another look at the link.
It's from ancestry.com
Perhaps I can find the page on Ellis.
Valarie

Another one for Gennaro, alone

1916 Manifest
page 2
24 Feb 1916 SS Giuseppe Verdi Naples to NY
Line 6
edit: added detail
Gennaro Moncuri (Moncieri) 49 (abt 1866)
- married
- last residence Bonefro
- wife Giovanna in ?
- destination RI, Providence
- in US 1910/1913 Pittsburgh?
- joining sister Anna? at 11 Dale St
- born in Bonefro
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Melina,
I clicked on the blue 'Special Inquiry Page' and
the link to Imageshack appeared to work.
I checked Ellis Island, it doesn't look like they
copied the Special Inquiry pages...
Valarie
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Thank you so much Valarie, this is him as it is the same address on Del St. in Rhode Island, I will add it to my file too. You all have given me a new set of variations on Maucieri that I hadn't tried in Ellis Island. I used to have Ancestry membership but I wasn't able to use it as I had limited info to narrow things down, now it is getting more detailed so I should be able to go back and get a new membership this fall. Thank you for checkinginto the special inquiry one for me.
Where are you from? What area to you research, it says you are a master....
Thanks again,
Melina