Need Help! Joseph (Guiseppe) Virzi ship manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need Help! Joseph (Guiseppe) Virzi ship manifest

Post by brujaojos »

HI there,

I would like to go back over the census records with you in order to gain some clues. I'm sorry if I am repeating, but I'm sure we'll figure out what we are missing.

Per the 1910 census, Giuseppe came to the USA around 1900 and is still considered an Alien. the wife and children also state they came to the USA in 1900. And Giuseppe was married around 1891. Maria Angela had 8 children and 8 survived.

Name: Joseph Virgi
[Joesph Virgi]
[Joseph Virzi]
Age in 1910: 45
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Marie
Home in 1910: Chicago Ward 22, Cook, Illinois
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1900

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Virgi 45
Marie Virgi 36
Christina Virgi 18
Angelina Virgi 16
Jennie Virgi 14
Frank Virgi 12
Mary Virgi 10
Rosy Virgi 7
Tony Virgi 6
Sam Virgi 4

Per the 1920 census, both Giuseppe and his son, Francesco Petitioned for Naturalization.

Do you have their naturalization records? it would list the ship that they arrived on.

Name: Frank Virzi
Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 22, Cook (Chicago), Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Afrika
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Joseph
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1900
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 937

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Virzi 55
Sam Virzi 14
Anthony Virzi 15
Frank Virzi 22
Vito Iacullo 25
Jennie Iacullo 24
Marian Iacullo 1 8/12

Still thinking.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

lilbees wrote:In the 1900 census. Joseph is listed as son. It would be easy to think he is Salvatore's son but in fact he is his brother (born 1964). Rosalie is Salvatore's wife. But I am still stuck locating the passenger manifest for Joseph and children. I have Salvatore's manifest but he did not accompany any of Joseph's children. Only his wife.

One thing I learned is that Salvatore's full name is Alfonso Salvatore similar to his father. I have found census listing him as Alfonso and as Salvarore. People sure switched the names around at times.

Hope you can come up with more for me. That would be great.
I found only a PROBABLE Alfonso sr ship's manifest:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Alfonso Virzi
Name: Alfonso Virzi
Arrival Date: 30 Sep 1891
Estimated birth year: abt 1844
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy and Palermo, Italy
Destination: Chicago, Illinois
Place of Origin: Italy;Termini
Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Birmania
Search Ship Database: Search the Birmania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_576
List Number: 1515
Port Arrival State: New York
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5341 ... sepvo6.jpg
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

The Ressingo you found is correct. That is my grandfather Vincenzo age 17 and his sister Guiseppa (Aunt Josie) going to his brother-in-law Joseph Virzi. Joseph's father Alfonzio arrived in 1891. The manifest you found is correct. His wife Augustine arrived according to the 1900 census in 1896. I am still looking for her. I don't know what name the immigration people would have listed. Possibly Antonina, etc.? Still searching. I am also looking for Rosina, Salvatore's wife listed in the census as arriving 1895. This is the same year as her mother-in-law. The rest of Alfonzio's children, again according to the census, arrived about 1898. The same as Joseph. Still looking.

I will need to get a hold of any of their naturalization papers to have more information. Cook County, Illinois is very slow in returning requested information even though the money has been paid. I am still waiting for birth certificates and a marriage certificate. It has now been 3 month. I had to call them. They did not have a record of the requests I made and took the information over the phone. I am sure at this point I will finally get what I requested shortly. I now have someone in Chicago who can go to the Cook County Courthouse in person and request whatever other records I need. And, believe it or not they will get same day service unless I do not have some specific dates to give them.

By the way Suanj, what you found is not probable but definite.

Hey thanks again for all the time and help you are giving. I do appreciate it.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

What is Augustina's last name and what is Rosina's last name?
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I have no last name of Augustina, Alfonzio's wife nor do I have a last name for Rosina Salvatore's wife. I have them in the 1900 census, the 1910 census and lost everyone for the 1920 census. Augustina is living with Salvatore and Rose in 1910 at the age of 72.

I lost Augustina, Rose and Salvatore by 1920. He shows up in the 1930 Census with Joe and Anthony, his 2 sons but not Rose. It says his marital condition is married. Again, immigration date is 1903 not 1900. I have an arrival for his of 1895 but not in 1903 just yet.

I did find a Rosa Virzi in the Illinois Death Index for Mar 1919. Not confirmed it is Rosina as yet.

I have a death date for Alfonzio of Dec 1906 per the Illinois Death Index. Augustina, per family records, shows Sep 1926. This is unconfirmed at this time.

There are connections with the Anzalone, Dina, Gatusso, DeMaio, Virzi, Trogossa, Marno, Rescigno. They all lived in Palermo, Sicily. Rescigno and Marno were married in Palermo. He was from Roccapiemonte and She was Palermo. Virzi was from Palermo and Messina. the all migrated to Gabes, Tunisia. Between 1890 and 1910 a good many of the families and some of their children immigrated to the US. Specifically to Chicago, Illinois. I am sure there is an earlier connection on the East Coast but I haven't gotten that far.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Just one other question. Salvatore is Josephs son, and at the beginning of the thread you have him listed as being born in chicago in 1906 so I'm a bit confused on his arrival being in 1895 and 1903. Can you clarify.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Salvatore is Joseph's brother born 1871 In Italy. Joseph was born 1864. Their father is Alfonzio born 1845.

Father: Alfonzio
Mother: Augustina born 1844 Arrived 1896
Daughter-in-law Rosina born 1879 " " " Arrived 1896

Children:
Salvatore born 1871 Italy According to 1900 Census Arrived 1895
Joseph born 1864 Italy " " " " Arrived 1898
Augustina born 1891 Italy " " " " Arrived 1898
Angela born 1894 Italy " " " " Arrived 1898
Jane born 1895 Italy " " " " Arrived 1898

Alphonzio born 1899 Chicago, Illinois
Marietta born 1899 Chicago, Illinois
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

lilbees: Alfonso VIRZI' ( exact italian spelling) came from Termini Imerese town, Palermo province.... maybe the LDS microfilms could be helpfuls for births and marriages, abt Augustine maybe we can search under Agostina or Augusta italian spell, searching in immigration collection of 1895/6.....

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Joseph Virzi has a son, Sam Virzi (also Salvatore) born 1906. He would be the older Salvatore's nephew.
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks Suanj, I will give your suggestion a try. The census gives an approximate marriage date based on length of time married. Which helps.

I believe your information regarding Alfonzio Virzi is correct. I will look around tomorrow.

Would the LDS have information for the area you are speaking of? I have been to their site. Will have to go to it again. We have a Family Library in a town nearby me.

Thanks again,
lilbees
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

suanj can you take a look at this 1893 manifest. Agostina age 57 and Rose age 18. Puts Roses birth year about 1875. Maybe this is it?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0844

Edited to add part of earlier post by lilbee (and shortened it)

Augustine arrived according to the 1900 census in 1896.......also looking for Rosina, Salvatore's wife listed in the census as arriving 1895. This is the same year as her mother-in-law (Augustine)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

BillieDeKid wrote:suanj can you take a look at this 1893 manifest. Agostina age 57 and Rose age 18. Puts Roses birth year about 1875. Maybe this is it?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0844

Edited to add part of earlier post by lilbee (and shortened it)

Augustine arrived according to the 1900 census in 1896.......also looking for Rosina, Salvatore's wife listed in the census as arriving 1895. This is the same year as her mother-in-law (Augustine)
this records seem right.. the age of Agostina don't match, but, frankly, this is a very probable record......
Agostina Gentile and Rosa.. Gentile also is a surname of Termini Imerese.....
from censuses the age and immigration year is no always correct.... I found by familysearch:
Agostina Maria Gentile Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 25 SEP 1842 Termini Imerese, Palermo, Italy

Christening: 25 SEP 1842 Termini, , Palermo, Italy

Death:
Burial:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Vincenzo Gentile Family
Mother: Giuseppa Catanzaro
------------------------
it could be the same?
Kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

If I don't have a firm birthdate or marriage date for those born in Italy itself. Is there any hope of having officials search for records in Italy. I only know general areas for sure but not exact. Does anyone have suggestions what I can do.

If we plan a trip to the area, where would I even start or would it be a waste of time. Better to have someone else do the research?

I do want to definitely go to Gabes, Tunisia and have written the counselor's office as to what I need do. But, that is like sending information into thin air.

We are not normally travelers so not sure what to do when the opportunity presents itself to attempt some genealogy research on our own. I would at least like to find the burial places of some of my ancestors.

Thank you for any information.

lilbees
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

lilbee -

Find your nearest Family History Center (FHC) - LDS church. Here is the link to find your nearest center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Here is the link for the films you'll want to order - Birth, Death, Marriage. Write down the film numbers that you want to look at and go to the FHC and order them for viewing. It takes a couple of weeks to get them.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Good Luck
Elizabeth
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thank you so much. I have a family history center near me in Alpharetta. Good trip for tomorrow. Hopefully they can help.

thanks again
lilbees