Finding My Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChuckP

Finding My Grandfather

Post by ChuckP »

Hi, all of my grandparents come from Italy. I found all of them on the Ellis Island web site except for my mothers father. I found where his wife and two sons came into Ellis Island. I was told he was here about 5 years before they came to the USA. My uncle was born in 1913, and he and his mother and brother came to the USa in 1920. I looked for my grandfather from 1912 and on, and could not locate him. Could he have come into another port? If so, can I find that on the Internet? If you need more information let me know.

Thank you
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Perhaps he came in before 1912???? anyway to cover all basesd and perhaps he came into another port go to www.gfenealogylookups.com/narchives.htm and file form 81 with NARA for all passeneger arrivals in the USA. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Perhaps he came in before 1912???? anyway to cover all basesd and perhaps he came into another port go to www.gfenealogylookups.com/narchives.htm and file form 81 with NARA for all passeneger arrivals in the USA. Peter
ChuckP

Still looking for grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

Hi Peter, thans for answering my posting. My uncle Carmine was born November 1, 1913. From what i can figure, that makes my grandfather still in Italy nine months before that.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

see what NARA comes up with. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Try this website too. www.jewishgen.org/databases/EDIDB/ellis.html. It covers missing manfiests and may reflect what your looking for. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

oops! it is /EIDB/ sorry Peter
ChuckP

Still looking for grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

Hi Peter, went to the web site you told me to go to, and found a few Vincenzo Mirra. Since my Uncle Carmine was born 11-1-1913 and my research has proved that he his brother and mother, (my grandmother) came to the USA in 1920, it tends to make me beleive that the Ellis Island site has one Vincenzo Mirra that came to the USA in 1919. The residence state AMERICA. WHy does it state AMERICA? I do not recognize the name that he came to America to stay with.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

He must have gone on a trip from America to Italy and was returning...where is the listing and I will look to see where he was going with my trusty magnifying glass!! Peter
ChuckP

Still looking for Grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

I found his name (I think) on the matching passenger records of ellis Island. It States he arrived in 1919 He is listed as number 4. Age was 28. Residence was America. Thank you very much Peter. I hope you are able to find him for me.
:D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I went to the normal ellisisland.org website. He is #20 and was going to his cousin Nicola Sellitti,664 4th avenue, NYC. Peter
ChuckP

Finding Grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

Thanks Peter, I too saw that name, but I have no idea who that person is, and if they are related. I will ask my mother to see if se know the name. Is that the first time you see my grandpa arriving in the USA? I wonder if he had come here befor that and that is why it states AMERICA in the paggenger rocords. Maybe he came here the the USA befor 1919 but I can't find hi doing that. Can you see where he did that?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

maybe he came in another port. file form 81 with NARA Peter
ChuckP

Still Looking for Grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

HI peter, can I downlaod the form?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

yes and I gave you the URL above in the beginning if you went up and reviewed what we had discussed. Go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm. Peter