need to affirm back four generations

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: need to affirm back four generations

Post by nfig1 »

Can anyone help me find when and where my great-grandfather died? His birth certificate was lost in the 1906 SF earthquake/fire, but his death certificate would also show who his parents were (which I need for the Italian consulate). His name is Louis Figone, born June 23 1888 in San Francisco. Thank you!
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

vj wrote:For reference:
Is this a census record for your family?

1900 census
Home in 1900:
1246 62nd Avenue
Oakland, Alameda, California
Head Frank Figoni 40 (Jan 1860)
- married 14 yrs (abt 1886)
Note: married in CA?
- immig 1884, in US 16 yrs, Pa (filed 1st papers)
Note no naturalization record found on footnote.com
Wife Mary Figoni 31 (May 1869)
- 8 children born, 5 children living
- immig 1885, in US 15yrs
Note: children all born in CA
Daughter Virginia Figoni 14 (May 1886)
Son Louis Figoni 11 (Jun 1888)
Son Tony Figoni 7 (Dec 1892)
Son Frank Figoni 6 (Sep 1893)
Son Albert Figoni 2 (Aug 1897)
boarder Jovanio Besitio 30
I have searched all over the internet, on all the websites, etc., and the closest I've come to determining the date of naturalization for my gggf was via the 1920 census, which indicated 1913. HOWEVER, I am suspicious because the 1910 census says "Na". One of them is wrong, and I cannot be sure which. I am inclined to believe the 1920 census because the year of naturalization is also indicated. Could one of the experts here help me confirm this please? Many thanks.
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Hi everyone! This is a follow-up to my research which began here nearly a year ago. At this point I am ready to start the process of procuring Italian birth and marriage documents for my great-great grandparents and my great-grandmother. You have helped me tremendously with the former. At this juncture I need to find the commune where my great-grandmother, Maria (Mary) Rizzo came from. According to the 1910 census, she immigrated in 1907. She married my great-grandfather, Louis Figone, on Jan 30, 1910 at the age of 16. The 1910 census was dated Apr 22, and states she was 17. If accurate that would make her year of birth 1893. Her mother's name was Sylvia Rizzo, maiden name Villa (I believe), which may already have been mentioned on this thread. At the time of the 1910 census, Mary lived in Oakland, California. As a small child, I remember her simply as "nonna." Since at that time she was the matriarch, everyone called her that, regardless of age. I remember she died around 1976 when I was still a small child. Molte grazie!
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Ok, I found Maria's manifest (I knew it was on this thread :) ) as posted by vj toward the bottom of page 1 of this thread entitled "Rizzo/Villa." The only problem is that I can't quite make out the town of their last residence, even after enlargement. The writing is sloppy. If there is anyone here who might know the town/commune name, please let me know. Thank you. By the way, Maria's age on the manifest is incorrect (She was closer to 13, not 9). She was married in 1910 at the age of 16 (unless she was only 12 at the time of marriage, but that would be unlikely). Thanks again.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Heer year of birth is crucial since she died well after 1963 and has a social security card since there are 3 Maria Rizzo born 1893 and others 1892 or 1894 and under Mary Rizzo there are many many listings which I did not feel compelled to research since the birth year is uncertain. The original ss-5 applciation filled out by her may have the town of birth written along with parents names and dates etc etc and other data. =Peter=
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

nfig1 wrote:Ok, I found Maria's manifest (I knew it was on this thread :) ) as posted by vj toward the bottom of page 1 of this thread entitled "Rizzo/Villa." The only problem is that I can't quite make out the town of their last residence, even after enlargement. The writing is sloppy. If there is anyone here who might know the town/commune name, please let me know. Thank you. By the way, Maria's age on the manifest is incorrect (She was closer to 13, not 9). She was married in 1910 at the age of 16 (unless she was only 12 at the time of marriage, but that would be unlikely). Thanks again.
for reference from pg 1:
Rizzo/Villa

17 Mar 1907 SS Virginia Genoa to NY
1907 manifest

- all born in Pietra Ligure (Savona, Liguria)

Note: Pietra Ligure is located abt 60 km sw of Genoa

Silvia Villa 30 (abt 1887)
- last residence Ceriana? (Imperia, Liguria)
- destination SF, CA
- joining husband/father Pietro Rizzo at 4661 Telegraph, Oakland
Daughter Maria 9 (abt 1898)
Son Giuseppe 8 (abt 1899)
Daughter Giuseppina 4 (abt 1903)
Son Giovanni 2 (abt 1905)

same manifest from ancestry. com:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6311/1907sh0.jpg
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Hi vj! How were you able to determine the place of birth? I could not find Pietra Ligure on the manifest. Their last city of residence looks to be written as "Ceriana."

One last thing - based on last name statistics, it is likely my gggf and gggm were from Varese Ligure. Their names are Francesco Figone and Magdalena (Maria) DeVincenzi. She would have emigrated in 1886 according to the 1910 census. Could you confirm the town of birth for me please?

Thank you very much!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

nfig1 wrote:Hi vj! How were you able to determine the place of birth? I could not find Pietra Ligure on the manifest. Their last city of residence looks to be written as "Ceriana."

One last thing - based on last name statistics, it is likely my gggf and gggm were from Varese Ligure. Their names are Francesco Figone and Magdalena (Maria) DeVincenzi. She would have emigrated in 1886 according to the 1910 census.

Thank you very much!
The place of birth is on the far right side of the manifest :wink: .

If you have the information you need per Peter’s suggestion (above)
writing to the comune is probably your next step.

Valarie
---

Here’s an interactive form letter which may help:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Addresses:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Pietra Ligure
17027 PIETRA LIGURE SV
ITALY

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Varese Ligure
19028 VARESE LIGURE SP
ITALY
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you are seeking documents for consular presentationthen request documents "plurilingue" while your at it and request long form (estratto di nascita) birth record. Toss in $5.00-$10.00 in self addressed envelope since clerks do research at end of day and are poorly paid...=Peter=
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Thank you both very much indeed.

What about the cities of birth for Francesco and Magnalena? Were you able to confirm Varese Ligure?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

nfig1 wrote:Thank you both very much indeed.

What about the cities of birth for Francesco and Magnalena? Were you able to confirm Varese Ligure?
1908 manifest posted earlier, Francesco with his father:

1908 manifest
page 2
24 Oct 1908 SS Regina D’Italia, Genova to NY
Lines 8 & 9
Francesco Figone 49 (abt 1859)
- married
- American citizen
- in Varese Ligure, sister Caterina
- destination SF, CA
- in US 1880 in SF
- joining wife Maddalena at 1264 62nd St, Oakland
- born in Genoa, Varese Ligure (La Spezia, Liguria)
Note: Varese Ligure is abt 50 km east of Genoa

(Father) Francesco Figone 73 (abt 1835)
- widower
- last residence Varese Ligure
- in Varese Ligure, daughter Caterina
- destination SF CA
- in US 3yrs 1887 in SF
- joining son Francesco at 1264 62nd St, Oakland
- born in Genoa, Varese Ligure

and 1885 manifest for Maddalena - no place of birth (common on earlier manifests)

Frank Figone 1860, wife Maddalena De Vincenzi?
a possible manifest:

Apr 1885 manifest
Name: Magdalena Devincenzi
Arrival Date: 20 Apr 1885
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867 Age: 18
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Destination: California
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Normandie
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: M237 Microfilm Roll: M237_485
List Number: 438
Port Arrival State: New York Port
Arrival Country: United States

Traveling with:
not necessarily immediate family
Teresa? 52 (abt 1833)
Antonio 15 (abt 1870)
Giov B? 11 (abt 1874)
Nicolo 4 (abt 1881)
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

So you recommend going with Varese Ligure for Francesco's wife? They were farmers, so I doubt they would have lived far apart when they met.

Sei il migliore! Grazie! Thank you both.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

nfig1 wrote: I have searched all over the internet, on all the websites, etc., and the closest I've come to determining the date of naturalization for my gggf was via the 1920 census, which indicated 1913. HOWEVER, I am suspicious because the 1910 census says "Na". One of them is wrong, and I cannot be sure which. I am inclined to believe the 1920 census because the year of naturalization is also indicated. Could one of the experts here help me confirm this please? Many thanks.
Have you located Francesco's naturalization paperwork?
This may help:
Alameda County Naturalization Records:

Naturalization Records are part of the Superior Court records.

These records are maintained kept by the Clerk of the Court at the
Rene C. Davidson Alameda County Court House
1225 Fallon Street, Room 109
Oakland, CA 94612
from http://www.cagenweb.com/alameda/Pages/R ... oolkit.htm
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Hi vj. Thanks very much for asking. I am currently about 2/3 the way up on the waiting list with the USCIS and expect to have an answer from them within a few months. NARA and Alameda County showed no record of naturalization. Everything hinges on the USCIS showing no record. However, it is unlikely they will find anything, so I am going ahead with procurement process.

One important document I have been unable to obtain was the birth record of Louis Figone, my ggf; the document was lost in the 1906 S.F. disaster. I have his death and marriage records though, so I wonder if that will suffice. Any ideas?

By the way, it appears Sylvia Rizzo (Villa) died in 1941. She was born around 1876. Is there some way to verify her place of birth since it's not on the manifest? Otherwise, I will have to assume it was Varese Ligure.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

By the way, it appears Sylvia Rizzo (Villa) died in 1941. She was born around 1876. Is there some way to verify her place of birth since it's not on the manifest? Otherwise, I will have to assume it was Varese Ligure.
It's on her 1907 manifest as Pietra Ligure (Savona, Liguria) same as
daughter Maria.
nfig1 wrote: One important document I have been unable to obtain was the birth record of Louis Figone, my ggf; the document was lost in the 1906 S.F. disaster. I have his death and marriage records though, so I wonder if that will suffice. Any ideas?
Where are you applying? If it's in CA they should be able to tell you what your alternatives are?

Another forum may also be able to help:
http://www.icgsmb.com/board/index.php
ICGS's Italian Dual Citizenship Message Board

Valarie