New and Need help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rachie

New and Need help!

Post by rachie »

I am looking for information on LaBrasca (not sure on spelling), Buonafede, and Piediscalzi. Jovanna LaBrasca Nicolo Piediscalzi (eventually married) came over from Sicily but I can't find anything on them. On the Buonafede side is Calsidonio and his wife Maria (no maiden name known) who also came over from Italy. I know there are still relatives in Santa Cristina Gella for LaBrasca or Piediescalzi and in Campolfelice de Roccella for Buonafede. I'm looking to get family history and find current realatives in Italy still
misbris
Master
Master

Re: New and Need help!

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I think this might be Nicolo's manifest.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022
rachie

Post by rachie »

Thanks, I saw that but could not get any more information on it from the website when I tried. Is there anyway to get information on Cristinia Piediscalzi (she came over when she was 2). I am thinking that may be a great aunt but I'm trying to peice the dates together with when Nicolo left. Her arrival was 1905 I belive.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

rent out the microfilm for both Santa Cristina gela (PA), and Campofelice di Roccella(PA) in Sicily. The microfilm for Santa Cristina dates 1820 to 1902 and for Campofelice 1820 to 1910. There is a book written to accompany the microfilm titled Disccovering your Italian Ancestors by Lynn nelson which can aid you in your researches of the microfilm. =Peter=
rachie

Post by rachie »

How do you rent out the microfilm?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Nicolo's manifest says that he has been in the US before and he was going to his father at 420 1/2 Clark Street in Chicago. Have you looked at the 1910 census? Christina may have travelled with her mother, so is recorded under the maiden name. Mother's name is probably Giovanna. I'll check a litttle more.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To rent out the microfilm go to www.familysearch.org and locate the family history library nearest your home whwere you can rent out the microfilm for a nominal sum (about $4-5 dollars). You can make copies at the library and they provide the viewing machines. =Peter=
mahalotm

Post by mahalotm »

i am looking for any information on the Astone family from Maschito Potenza Italy. I have just begun looking for family members. My great grand father came to Ellis Island on 2/27/1902 at the age of 20. I don't know who his mother or father were. He married Mary Masucci who was born here in the US but her parents were from Italy and possilby the same area as my great grandfather.

Any idea how i can begin this search. Sorry, i am truly new to this.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

mahalotm wrote:i am looking for any information on the Astone family from Maschito Potenza Italy. I have just begun looking for family members. My great grand father came to Ellis Island on 2/27/1902 at the age of 20. I don't know who his mother or father were. He married Mary Masucci who was born here in the US but her parents were from Italy and possilby the same area as my great grandfather.

Any idea how i can begin this search. Sorry, i am truly new to this.
Welcome to the forum :D .
We would be happy to see what we can do to help.
You may want to start your own post for your family
(to keep your research from becoming confused with
information on this post)
Just click the 'new topic' button on the top or bottom of
this screen to start your own post.
Valarie
mahalotm

Post by mahalotm »

Thanks for the tip i will be sure to do that. I feel kind of overwhelmed with the idea of getting information without other family members to help with identiiiftning information. So far in 1 day i have his DOB, Death date, arrival in USA date and the SS#.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Terry :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

rachie wrote:Thanks, I saw that but could not get any more information on it from the website when I tried. Is there anyway to get information on Cristinia Piediscalzi (she came over when she was 2). I am thinking that may be a great aunt but I'm trying to peice the dates together with when Nicolo left. Her arrival was 1905 I belive.
Have you seen this 1920 Census yet? Here's the info.

1920 United States Federal Census
about Christine Piediscalzi
Name: Christine Piediscalzi
Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 22, Cook (Chicago), Illinois
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1906
Birthplace: Illinois
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's Name: Nick
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Name: Jennie
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 80
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Nick Piediscalzi 51
Jennie Piediscalzi 41
Christine Piediscalzi 14
Mike Piediscalzi 12
Minnie Piediscalzi 9
George Piediscalzi 6

I can link it for you if this is the family you are seeking and if you don't have it. It shows that wife Jennie naturalized in 1905 and husband Nick arrived in 1890, naturalized in 1896.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi!
It seems Cristina Piediscalzi arrived in 1905 with her mother Guttarauli (?) Giovanna:

[img=http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8932 ... br1.th.jpg]

But they were going to meet the father/Husband Piediscalzi Nicolò living in Waggaman LA...

edit... :? The Guttarauli last name doesn't exist, probably was Guttadauro/Guttadauria... :?:
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Name: Francesco Filpi
Arrival Date: 6 Oct 1906
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Italia
Search Ship Database: View the Italia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 15
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_778
Birth Location Other: san cristina gela palermo
Page Number: 8

He was travelling with his Wife La Brasca Gutturan (mispell of Gutturauli??) Francesca (age 23), they were going to his brother in law PIEDISCALZI NICOLO' in Chicago, 85 Milton Avenue...
Francesca was Giovanna's sister??

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2305010071

On the Ellis Island site you can find Francesca under a very mispelled name!:
GUTTURAN DI FSCA. LA BRASCA
I think the right surname was: Guttarauli La Brasca (double last name)
Laura
barbviola

Post by barbviola »

rachie wrote:I am looking for information on LaBrasca (not sure on spelling), Buonafede, and Piediscalzi. Jovanna LaBrasca Nicolo Piediscalzi (eventually married) came over from Sicily but I can't find anything on them. On the Buonafede side is Calsidonio and his wife Maria (no maiden name known) who also came over from Italy. I know there are still relatives in Santa Cristina Gella for LaBrasca or Piediescalzi and in Campolfelice de Roccella for Buonafede. I'm looking to get family history and find current realatives in Italy still

Hi Rachie,

The Cristina Piediscalzi you are talking about was my grandmother. She married Carl LaBrasca. My mother is their daughter JoVanna LaBrasca Viola. The name Buonafede I believe is my grandmother's sister Frances. We may know each other. My cousin Steve LaBrasca did a family tree several years back. I'm sure I have it somewhere. Contact me here or by private message and I'll send you a copy.

Barbara Viola Yorke
rachie

Post by rachie »

barbviola,
Sorry for the delay however I have not been on here. Frances in my grandma by marriage now and that is correct Buonafede is the last name there. Do you have more information or the family tree? I would really love to know if there are any relatives still in Sicliy for either side of the family. We are taking our honeymoon there in late October and want to visit both towns.
Thanks.