Della Loggia of Brigadoon J/K Montepagano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Peter,

And anyone else who might be reading this.

I just wanted to clear an error up that I made in a previous post.

I did not find records of Di Luzio's in the civil records of Guardia Vomano (as posted on the LDS website.)

I found records of Natalini's in Guardia Vomano

The Di Luzio's I found were in the records of Basciano.

I have yet to call the phone number that you suggested (in an entirely different forum), but I am about to get drastic. I have tried in vain to pick out the batch numbers for Montepagano records on the website. I know the records exist and that the LDS have them - as per their Library Catalog.

In my futile attempt I have however come across these batch numbers:
Basciano, TE C841181-841189
Poggiomorello, TE C841112-841119
Rapino, TE C841121-841125
Riano, TE C841131-841133
Rippattoni,TE C841141-841149
Rocca Santa Maria, TE C841151-841155
Sant'Omero, TE C841161-841169; C841171-841177
Mosciano Sant'Angelo, TE C841081-841089; C841091-841099;C841101-841103
Guardia Vomano, TE C841011-841018
Bellante, TE C841202-841216
San Vito Valle Castellan, TE C841271-841275
Nereta, TE C842472
Montorio Al Vomano C841021;C841403-841418
Morro D'Oro, TE C841066-841076
Isola Del Gran Sasso D'italia, TE C841032-841048

If you put C in front of the number (as I have done on the beginning numbers above) you will get birth and christening records. If you put M then you will get marriage records.

I don't know how well this works for all these towns, but it worked really well for Guardia Vomano and Basciano. Sometimes a number skips in the series.

The marriage records are most helpful when they give the names of the parents of the marrying couple. The records only go back to about 1810 so you can get the names of the parents and figure them for being born at the very least thirty years earlier. (Most likely more, but at the very least.)

You generally get the names of the parents on the christening and birth records, too.

I found searching the records of the whole town beneficial because often early in the records someone is called by the father's name for their surname (ex: Di Giuseppe) and then later they pass an entirely different last name to their children.

Also sometimes the name is misspelled and doesn't come up on the search. (I have seen this most often with C's being mistaken for P's or n's being mistaken for ri's and vice versa.)

I hope somebody gets some good use out of my insanity.

Lori
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thank you for this valuable insight. It is my opinion that 20 years between the first child and the parents birth and while not fixed in stone the custom was for the first child to be named after the fathers father and the second child after th mothers father(or mother dep[ending on the gender of the child and then after the parents and four children later the naming usually went toward the Uncles and Aunts. Peter
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Peter,

I would have to agree with you about the names and that's why it can get kind of confusing.

For example if I run across a records of a Maddalena Natalini born marrying an Antonio Giacchetta around 1910 and I don't get the names of her parents on the record, I cannot safely assume that her grandmother was Maddalena.....

However in the Natalini's that I have found there are other Maddalena's who if the Maddalena in question is a sister of the father---that would make sense for them being named for the aunt.
(Gee I hope that makes more sense than it seems to.)

(I am not sure that Antonio is the first name of the Giacchetta in question, because I am not at home.)

At any rate by the time my relatives made their ways to Philadelphia they had completely given up the traditional naming system. Clementine Di Luzio married Carmen Della Loggia and had four daughters, none of whom she named either Catherine or Caterina - which definitely was the name of her mother.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Alas nothing good stays..nowadays no one knows anything about much! Peter
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Della Loggia of Brigadoon J/K Montepagano

Post by LoralDojo »

bump my family names up in case you might recognize yourself
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Della Loggia of Brigadoon J/K Montepagano

Post by LoralDojo »

Ok. About time to get drastic. I have yet to order records from LDS. (I've been a little busy with law school). I have mass emailed all people with the last name Della Loggia to no avail. I've got some other tricks up my sleeve, yet. As for the name Della Loggia being common, this isn't so in my experience. Certainly nowhere near as common as Angelini or Natalini or even Giacchetta. I have been unable to turn up more than a handful of Della Loggia's in the Teramo region. My cousin who lives in the area I am seeking info and who works at a grocery store doesn't know this name at all.

I am ready to go requesting info from Roseto and Montepagano. I will let you know how it turns out...

Meanwhile Della Loggia descendants in the United States (out of Philadelphia) include these last names... DeLoggio Scaramuzza, Frye... if you know these names are in connection with one another but you don't know Lori DeLoggio please contact me... I want your info... i can give you what i know... which amounts to 8 children of carmen and mendine, a ship manifest record for carmen, and scattered info on the family that still lives...

www.myspace.com/lollidama