Ventola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jonchinn

Ventola

Post by jonchinn »

Hello,
I'm doing some research into my birth-mothers surname which is Ventola!I was born in Bedford,UK in 1968,I was then adopted by my mother and father in 1974 after they had obviously fostered me in the intervening years.Most of the adoption side of things is being handled by social services,and won't know much until the new year.But the reason for my enquiry is to find out a little about my birth-mothers surname etc!If anybody can fill me on the historical and significance of the name I would be very grateful!

thank you for your help!

Happy new year to you all,from Jon Chinn
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Ventola

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear JonThere is a lotof basic research you can conduct but intially to start you off here is what you should know about the surnames roots. First Ventola is not listed as an Italian surname meaning it was either local in origin and /or imported from abroad. The distribution of the surname in Italy may give you clue as to the area of origin by going to www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi and insert Ventola in the upper left (cognomi) and you will see concentrations of the surname in Puglia region, Campania regions in the South and Lombardia regionin the far north. There are a total of 127 cities,towns and villages with persons having the surname currently residing in each of the locales.

In Italy most records and family history and documents are in either City, town or village of origin (Born,married or died) so you are going to have to research much.

There is a book titled Italian genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole which is an easy read and will enable you to do your own research at your own pace. The book is about $40.($US) and/orborrowed from a library.

However to get your feet wet may I suggest you go to www.familyhistory.com and search out Ventola. It is a paying site but you can get intial data and they give you 14 days free if you join and then you can drop out. You can also go to an english website www.findmypast.com which is a paying site as well and which offered a first time user free of charge check but I believe they have discontinued that policy.

There is one other website that you will also find revealing and that is www.familysearch.org under ancestor search and just put in Ventola and nothing else!!!! and all Ventola surnames in Italy and the remainder of the world who were involved with Mromon chruch research will show up. (you did not provide her first name so now you are going to have to do the reading of each ventola listed.....)

In any event this should keep you going, give you a grasp of whats involved and hope that it helps you on your way..=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear JonThere is a lotof basic research you can conduct but intially to start you off here is what you should know about the surnames roots. First Ventola is not listed as an Italian surname meaning it was either local in origin and /or imported from abroad. The distribution of the surname in Italy may give you clue as to the area of origin by going to www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi and insert Ventola in the upper left (cognomi) and you will see concentrations of the surname in Puglia region, Campania regions in the South and Lombardia regionin the far north. There are a total of 127 cities,towns and villages with persons having the surname currently residing in each of the locales.

In Italy most records and family history and documents are in either City, town or village of origin (Born,married or died) so you are going to have to research much.

There is a book titled Italian genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole which is an easy read and will enable you to do your own research at your own pace. The book is about $40.($US) and/orborrowed from a library.

However to get your feet wet may I suggest you go to www,familyhistory.com and search out Ventola. It is a paying site but you can get intial data and they give you 14 days free if you join and then you can drop out. You can also go to an english website www.findmypast.com which is a paying site as well and which offered a first time user free of charge check but I believe they have discontinued that policy.

There is one other website that you will also find revealing and that is www.familysearch.org under ancestor search and just put in Ventola and nothing else!!!! and all Ventola surnames in Italy and the remainder of the world who were involved with Mromon chruch research will show up. (you did not provide her first name so now you are going to have to do the reading of each ventola listed.....)

In any event this should keep you going, give you a grasp of whats involved and hope that it helps you on your way..=Peter=
jonchinn

Post by jonchinn »

Thanks Peter,I forgot to tell you that my birth-mothers' name is Carmella,and my birthdad (who is English),is called Bernard George Maurice Lewis,my birthname is Nicoangelo Maurice Lewis!I did find out that during the fifties and sixties there was an influx of Italians to the Bedford region to work at the brickworks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jon please let me know when you get thru with the websites I furnished you. Sometimes when you get goling little things comes to mind which will open your mind to other possiblities. Please keep me informed. happy New year. =Peter=
jonchinn

Post by jonchinn »

Will do,thanks!I'll let you know what happens at the adoption side of thing to,as there may be some extra info,from that to take into consideration!

thanks mate!
Lindaj

Post by Lindaj »

Jon,

did you get any where in your ventola search. My grandmother was a ventola. My mother fathers family married a Carmella Ventola. I see the same names repeated over and over again in italy. my Grandmother was born in Parolise and lived San Potitoo ultra, next door to Parolise. (in the provence of avellino) It would not surprise me if that is where your mother is from.

Linda
jonchinn

Post by jonchinn »

Hello Linda,

My mum was born around the Naples area of Sorrento,I think,I'm not sure I'll have to clarify that with her and get back to you on that!But the Ventola name seems quite popular,if you can give me any more information that I can print off,send it as an attachment to this address: chinn1dredd@yahoo.co.uk!

thanks for your info so far!

yours sincerely

Jon Chinn