1920 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

1920 Census

Post by Sirena »

I'm stuck! I'd appreciate if someone could check the 1920 Census - Attleboro/No. Attleboro, Mass. for Licianci, Antonio & Anna Maria (Iacovitto). I have their marriage in 1917 but they disappear after that. I know he & the child (John, Gian, Gennaro) both die around 1920-1 but I haven't found anything else re: their dates of death, etc.. Thanks.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: 1920 Census

Post by pink67 »

Hi Sirena,

found his Draft Registration Card for WWI, maybe someone can decipher the address he gave, so we can search better for the census....

Laura :)

P.S. listed as GLICIANCI Antonio born in San Giuliano in 1886
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

His sister Margherita arrival in 1913:

Page 1, line 27:

Page 2:

but Antonio's address is illegible....
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Delete
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I looking briefly for this as well this morning but I didn't have much luck..then again, I only had one coffee.

Perhaps they were already dead by the 1920 census...we should see if we can locate the wife instead I think
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

The address looks like 405 Mt. Hope St. No. Attleboro to me.

My grandmother would still have been living in Attleboro then. Thank you.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The address looks correct but when was your grandmother born approximately? Would she have gone by Anna, Ann, Ana, Maria, Mary..etc?
Was she married in Italy or in the US?

Can you provide any more details?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Hi,
My grandmother was born in 1896 in San Giuliano di Puglia. I have all her info. re: Ellis Island. She arrived 1917. She married Antonio a few days later in NY. I have the marriage certif. and then she went to live in No. Attleboro. She had a son and both the child & her husband died during the flu epidemic. By 1922 she was remarried to my grandfather and living in Ri.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Want to show an interesting record:
Nord Attleborough line 52:
It's about a Mary Jacortta (maybe Jacovitto?), Widow, age 22, occupation: braid tender in a braid mill (?? I don't know these words, what do they mean?)

I think it's your grandmother....

Laura :D
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Laura,
I think you are correct!! What a good piece of detective work! I never heard of a braid tender either. A mill is a factory and many came to Southern Massachusetts and RI because there were a lot of jewelry and textile factories. I would guess she used to work in a textile factory tending (taking care of) the braids (treccia) of fabric.

Is there any other place online that I could find birth info. for her son? Or should I just check the FHC? I never saw his name written but she called him what I thought was John. His paternal grandfather was Gennaro. Do you think that would be his name? Would John be a nickname for Gennaro?
Thank you all for your quick responses
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Sirena,
I'm glad we found your grandmother census! Regarding her son I don't know how to help you, searching on the internet I found this site:

http://www.mass-doc.com/massachusetts_d ... ficate.htm

where you can request death certificates, and even if you don't know the exact date of death you can point a period (you know your grandparents were married in 1917 and in 1920 the child was dead, only three year to search)...

But.... I'm not expert at all in these kind of request, so I hope that some other member of the forum can help you better, especially for advices about FHC.
About the name I think it's possible that John could be the americanizad version of Gennaro (or for Giovanni, Gianni etc...)
(p.s. maybe she was working in a rope factory?)
Ciao!
Laura :D
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Thank you for the information, Laura. I'll check the site tonight and post back what I found. I never thought of rope, but yes, that makes sense. Have a good day.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »