Great-Grandmother's maiden name - HELP!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bookworm

Great-Grandmother's maiden name - HELP!

Post by Bookworm »

Hello, you probably don't remember me but I came here a long time ago asking for information about a John Staffieri. And all of you here were kind enough to help me with that and the information you provided was...

<B>John STAFFIERI
Birth Date: 3 Oct 1914
Death Date: 6 Aug 1998
Social Security Number: 159-03-8707
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Pennsylvania

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 89012
Localities: Henderson, Clark, Nevada</B>

All of this has been confirmed by my grandmother. But, she doesn't know what his mother's maiden name was. So I was hoping maybe someone could help me find out? :D
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Great-Grandmother's maiden name - HELP!

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Bookworm and welcome back. I'm going to include the link of your old thread so people can get familiar again.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =4861.html

I read your thread and a possibility might be to find out who he married and where he was married at, then get a copy of the marriage certificate. It should list his parents names. Also, if you can find out the town he was born in you may be able to get his birth certificate to find out his mothers name. Do you happen to know the town he was born in?

Regards,
Elizabeth
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ciao Bookworm,

don't know if this manifest is correct but on Ellis Island site I found:

March 20, 1920 arrival from Naples ship Italia

GIOVANNI STAFFIERE age 6 (birth year 1914) travelling with his mother Maria Maltacchione age 30, coming from Sora (Frosinone Province - Lazio Region) and going to meet the father/husband Staffiere Vincenzo living in Canton - Ohio.
Leaving in Italy the grandfather/father in law Staffiero Antonio in Sora.

Page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

Page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

on Ancestry I found Maria and son on the lsit of detained aliens:
[img=http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9472 ... lk0.th.jpg]

Could be your relative?
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well Bookworm, since you confirmed that- the above mentioned- is your ancestor, it are this post: http://www.abruzzoforum.com/forums/sici ... s/267.html

Posted by Caroline S on November 09, 2006 at 03:40:46:
My Grandfather's name was John Staffieri, he was probably 35 when he met my Grandmother who was 18 back in 1950. They never married but had a child, my father, later that year and John left them both. I've never met him or his family and neither has my father.

This John Staffieri was born on October 3, 1914 in Philadelphia, PA and passed away on August 6, 1998 in Henderson or Clark, Nevada. His parents were John and Rose Staffieri from somewhere in Sicily but I've no idea where. And that's the whole point of this post; if anyone knows, or could somehow find out what part of Sicily my great-grandparents were from. To know this would mean the world to me.

Thank you so very much,
Caroline S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well abt 1930 census:
1930 United States Federal Census
about John Staffieri
Name: John Staffieri
Home in 1930: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1913
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Rose

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Staffieri 48
Rose Staffieri 45
John Staffieri 17
Mary Staffieri 15
Anna Staffieri 13
Jimmie Staffieri 10
Frank Staffieri 7

-----------------
the problem abt this John Staffieri is that it seem born in Phila from 1930 census..............it could be the same person: John Staffieri, that you are searching?

in any case abt Laura record on Giovanni STAFFIERE from Sora, Italy, emigrated in 1920, this is the WWI dratf registration card abt Vincenzo Staffieri in Canton, Ohio, wife and 1 child in Italy in the 1918

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Vincenzo Stoffieri
Name: Vincenzo Stoffieri
City: Canton
County: Stark
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 4 Apr 1889
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1819750
DraftBoard: 1

-----------------------
so can you explain if your ancestor was born in Italy or in USA?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

According to my grandmother she said that John told her that he was from Sicily, I didn't find that out until a month ago. She doesn't know what exact part though. My guess is Catania because I searched his name on this site: http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe the father was of Sicily.... IF your ancestor is this:
John STAFFIERI
Birth Date: 3 Oct 1914
Death Date: 6 Aug 1998

State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Pennsylvania
by 1930 census he is born in Pennsylvania as the siblings.... the father and the mother was married in Pennsylvania.. probably, because the father result immigrated abt in the 1895, the mother in 1890 both naturalized....

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9440 ... eriwx1.jpg
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Bookworm wrote:John STAFFIERI
Since John had an SSN, request a copy of his SS-5 (the application for SSN). It will give his mother's maiden name. Ask for the photocopy of the original application, not the numident. You can apply online.

I got my GF's SS-5 in about a week. And there was even a handwritten notation on the original application that my GF's mother's maiden name was indeed the same as her married name--a something I had suspected for a long time but had found no family member who could confirm it.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps7/efoiassa/ ... SSA711.jsp
Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

That John Staffieri is very spot on because my grandmother said he went to Nevada at some point in his life. So you might be right, it very well may have been his father that came from Sicily.

Thank you for the census by the way, it looks correct to me (at least) and I see the mother's name is Rose which reminds me that I had heard my grandmother refer to her as Rose once!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thank you, Peggy! Fantastic idea! At the moment though I must confess that I haven't the money at this time to purchase such a document. Is there any other way to find his mother's maiden name?
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Bookworm wrote:I haven't the money at this time to purchase such a document.
Then the best I can suggest is find a public library with paid subscription to ancestry.com, footnote.com etc and ask the librarian for help. Another good option is Church of the Latter Day Saints--one of their Family History Centers will also have this kind of information.

At $27, the SS-5 is one of the more expensive vital records, but for me, it was worth it!

Good luck, Peggy M
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thank you for those tips! Church of Latter day Saints looked promising, but I couldn't find a birth certificate on John from them. I have tried libraries, the ones close to me don't have a paid membership to ancestry.

My main objective of finding my great-grandmother's maiden name is so that I can change my name to it, in tribute to her. I'm planning on doing it very soon. Quite frankly, I'm wondering if anyone here could just maybe tell me her maiden name? Could someone who's already with ancestry.com maybe go there for me? If it'll cost you money then never mind.
My apologies, I'm just really anxious to find her name.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Bookworm wrote:Church of Latter day Saints looked promising, but I couldn't find a birth certificate on John from them. I have tried libraries, the ones close to me don't have a paid membership to ancestry.
The FHC in my area does have ancestry.com on their computers and so do the public libraries. Call FHC in your area & double check--same with libraries. Things change. People are much more interested in genealogy than they used to be and libraries sometimes respond to public interest.

Also, you seem to be assuming that everything is one the web--not so!Good luck in your search. Peggy M