Trouble finding ancestors on passenger lists to NY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Trouble finding ancestors on passenger lists to NY

Post by Scarlett227 »

Hello--

I am another person new to genealogy. Thankfully my living relatives have kept very good records, and I've started entering them in on Ancestry.com, along with attaching the appropriate records like the census, WWII draft cards, etc.

My question has to do with passenger lists. I am not having much luck with them. For example, I know that my great grandmother, Fortunata Mastronardi, came to the US once before her wedding in 1921, and also again that year, as she stayed with her cousin in NY before her wedding to my great grandfather in CT. I know her birthday, April 25, 1897, and that she came from Pietrelcina, Benevento, Italy.

I have switched her first name and last, put in the minimum amount of characters in the name fields, and done the maximum + or - of years as recommended by Ancestry and EllisIsland.org. Is it possible that the manifest from her ship was lost or not yet entered?

Her sister in law, named Severia D'Auria Seletta, was nearly impossible to find -- I only found her name because she traveled with her mother. On the manifest she is listed as "Doletta," which is not remotely like Severia! On one census, she appears as "Alice."

I'd appreciate any insight you might have!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Trouble finding ancestors on passenger lists to NY

Post by PeterTimber »

She entered the USA on Augusat 5, 1922 with her husband Francesco Miraglia and her in-laws on the Congte Rosso at NYC. She is #5 on the ships manifest as Fortunata Mastronardi. Italian woman as you know never lose their identity and only their husbands surname is passed on to the children. =Peter=
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

Thank you for checking, but my grandmother was married in May 1921, so she would have come before that time, not after. Also, my great grandfather's name is Raffaele D'Auria. He came some time between 1904-1907.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps she entered the USA prior to her marriage thru Boston or indeed the ships manifest relating to that earlier entry may be lost as you indicated. I suppose the name of the ship with which she entered the USA in that earlier time is unknown to you? =Peter=
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

The manifest could have been transcribed incorrectly, which would account for your being unable to find her. Do you know who else she came over with? If you search for a travel companion, it is possible that their name was transcribed correctly and you will be able to find her. Also, you can use www.stevemorse.org

Click on the gold form. You can do your search by name of the town she came from and limit the years you search. In other words, keep the name field blank, look by town name and a range of years. Who knows? That may produce something. If you see any names with really crazy spellings, look at the original manifest images. It is time consumming, but it could be worth it.

As you may know, your ancestors are from the town of Padre Pio. We were in Benevento in 2006. It was a great trip and the people are fantastic!
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

As Peter suggested, she may have come in through Boston

1921 Boston Manifest, page 1 line 27
Page 2
Fortunata Mastronardi, yob about 1898
Last residence and place of birth Pietreclina
Destination Brooklyn NY to join cousin Antonio

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Don't know if this is a relative, but just to show you one way the name was mangled. :roll:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 1126030730
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

Peter, I know that my g-grandmother never went to Boston, and unfortunately I don't know the ship's name. I really appreciate your trying.

Poipuo4, my g-grandmother came by herself, or I would have done as you suggested and looked up someone else who may have traveled with her. I didn't know about Padre Pio. Can you explain to me how it's related to Pietrelcina?

Thank you!
Searching for: Mastronardi (Pietrelcina), D'Auria (Ariano), Ciaccio (Santa Margherita di Belice) and Prizzi (Menfi).
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Scarlet,

I never knew that my grandmother came to the US through Boston either. Everyone else came into NY , but the wonderful people here found her Boston manifest. I found out later that it was less stressful to land in Boston. (My grandmother was both spoiled and frail) My grandfather went all the way to Boston to bring the family back to NJ. Take a careful look at Biff's manifest, you might find out something new about your family, I did.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Pietraclina was his birthplace. As you may know, John Paul II canonized him. He is literally a modern day saint, having lived until the 1960s. All through Bevento and Italy for that matter, he is revered. See here for more info.: http://www.padrepio.it/ing/vita.htm

A lot of people make pilgrimages to there.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Biff83 wrote:As Peter suggested, she may have come in through Boston

1921 Boston Manifest, page 1 line 27
Page 2
Fortunata Mastronardi, yob about 1898
Last residence and place of birth Pietreclina
Destination Brooklyn NY to join cousin Antonio

Biff
Great find Biff. I believe this is the correct person. :wink:
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

Hello --

Thank you Biff and everyone for mentioning Boston and giving me the link to the manifest. I totally stand corrected!

I took a look at this record and it absolutely looks like it could be my great grandmother. The manifest asks for father's name and the name it lists is correct for our family -- Giuseppe. Perhaps the ship was diverted because of weather, and her cousin traveled from NYC to Boston to meet her and take her home.

I really appreciate all of your help with this, and the information you are sharing with me.

Best, Debby (Scarlett227)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Biff give yourself a raise!! =peter=