Surname: DiChristina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Surname: Di Cristina

Post by Xaymara »

Ashley,

My last name is Di Cristina and my family is from the city of Palermo, specifically the area known as Boccadifalco and Altarello di Baida. The surname doesn't have a specific place of origin but is most predominant in the province of Palermo and also in Genova.

I don't have a Frank among my immediate family but I do have a cousin - third degree, I think- named Frank Di Cristina who has done extensive research - both here and in Palermo - on his branch of the family. I can put you in contact with Frank and I know he'll be delighted to hear from another Di Cristina. I can send his contact info via a private message.

María
vj
Master
Master

Re: Surname: DiChristina

Post by vj »

Its no wonder I couldn't find any records,
I was using the American spelling.
Though I was told it wasn't changed.
As long as it has career as a baker attached to it,
thats definitely my family
There you go :D !
Glad we could all help get you going again.

When you look for everyone's arrival on Ellis,
the spelling (transcriptions) can be worse.
(including whether or not to space the 'Di')
This site also allows partial name searches including
location.
Note: Grazia and perhaps Dorotea should be traveling under
'Speciale' (women used their maiden names)
Ellis Island one step
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Dorotea Orlando Speciale 1913 manifest, line 28
Page 1
Page 2
Age 69
Last residence and birth place Bagheria
Nearest relative in Italy--daughter Grazia Di Cristina
Destination--Buffalo NY to join son Filippo Speciale

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff :D !
Boy, the family is getting much bigger.
Valarie
Ashley86

Post by Ashley86 »

Xaymara wrote:Ashley,

My last name is Di Cristina and my family is from the city of Palermo, specifically the area known as Boccadifalco and Altarello di Baida. The surname doesn't have a specific place of origin but is most predominant in the province of Palermo and also in Genova.

I don't have a Frank among my immediate family but I do have a cousin - third degree, I think- named Frank Di Cristina who has done extensive research - both here and in Palermo - on his branch of the family. I can put you in contact with Frank and I know he'll be delighted to hear from another Di Cristina. I can send his contact info via a private message.

María
Maria,

That would be great. If you don't mind me asking, which Di Cristina are you closely related to?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

When you have all your US records you may want to
head over to Italy. (you’ll need some pretty accurate
birth dates & relationships to make sure you have the
correct family)

The Family History Library has records you can order
for Bagheria on microfilm:
Topic Italy, Palermo, Bagheria - Civil registration
Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1903
Bagheria (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile
----

A great place to start:

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
and a free genealogy program for downloading
to your computer (PAF) to organize your research.

Italian Record Research from the FamilySearch research guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Three terrific books
to help you find, read & understand your records:

Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research

By Tafford R Cole
google book link

A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link

Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link
---

More on the Family History Center

Two very helpful essays from Trish, one of our forum members
(brujaojos):

What is FamilySearch.org
and
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

Ashley86 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, which Di Cristina are you closely related to?
My grandfather was Edoardo son of Rocco Di Cristina and Vincenza La Mantia. My grandfather had four brothers and three sisters. Arrival in Ellis Island was in 1900 for Vincenza, by then a widow, and six of her children. Only two siblings stayed in Palermo: Rosalia, a nun, and Bartolo, the eldest of the children. My grandfather established residence in Puerto Rico, the others in NY and New Jersey.
fireandiron

Post by fireandiron »

Xaymara, My name is Michael, My grandfather was Giuseppe,brother of Eduardo.I have a picture of them(and their mother and siblings) on my wall taken in Brooklyn shortly after their arrival. Michael
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

fireandiron wrote:Xaymara, My name is Michael, My grandfather was Giuseppe,brother of Eduardo.I have a picture of them(and their mother and siblings) on my wall taken in Brooklyn shortly after their arrival. Michael
Michael,

Are you Julie's son? If you are, then I have the same exact photograph hanging on my wall.

María
fireandiron

Post by fireandiron »

Maria, Yes I'm Julie 's son I'm in Colorado. I was contacted by another Michael DiCristina in Pueblo Colorado some years back whose family came to America in the late 1800's . They dropped the "i" in Di and put an apostrophe in it's place. But he sent me a photo of his family crest which has the proper spelling. It was handed down to the eldest son for generations. It is the same Crest my grandfather described to me.
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

Michael,

Good to hear from you! I was almost certain that you were Julie's son but needed your confirmation. My brother was in contact with your Mom many years ago and my Aunt Yolanda met her once. I also talked to your Mom once but it was at least a decade ago.

I visit the family in Palermo every two years and they always ask me if I have news on the descendants of the brothers and sisters that came with Vincenza. It seems that my brothers and I are the only ones in contact with the relatives in Palermo.

I'll send you a private message with my contact information. I live in Arizona.

María
mikedcri

Post by mikedcri »

Michael,
I am the Michael in Pueblo.
My Great Great grandfather was Rocco and his son was Giuseppe. My grandfather was Joseph as was my dad. I don't know much more but I know that Rocco's father fought with Garabaldi and received a citation from him about that campaign. The DiCristina crest that I sent you is really quite old and as you stated is handed down to the eldest son of the family. If you have any information about the family I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you,
Michael
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

My Name is Frank DiChristina. My family Add the H, when they came here from Sicily, at the turn of the Century but we come from Palermo. My Grandfather was Joseph DiChristina, One of like 14 bother and sisters, they lived in Brooklyn. Then he married my Grandmother Angela, they lived in Bushwick by Knickerbocker ave. Had my Father Frank and His Brother, My Uncle Marino. I was always told, some of them went o NY, SOme NJ and the rest to South America when they Left Sicily. We went to My Grandmother town by Cantania, when we went there. I think here name was Laporte and then Trippi. They knew when my Father spoke to them in Sicilian, that our name comes from the Polermo area. He told them what my Grandmother Maiden name and her Mother Maiden name, they pointed to a guy on the church steps, said he was related to us. It was a Beautiful country. When i go back, I want to go to the Palermo area, look up the DICristina's, see where my family is from, see the town.I believe I was told the Town was Bagnaria.
irenedicristina

Re: Surname: DiChristina DiCristina

Post by irenedicristina »

my maiden name id DiCristina. My Grandfather was named Rocco DiCristina from Sicily married to Petrina and both were born around 1860ish. They had 4 sons, "Humberto ( my uncle Dick), Franco ( my uncle Frank), Harry ( my father born in 1893) Guiseppi ( my uncle Joe). They originally emigrated to Meixco and started a lemon plantation...Poncho Villa ran them out. They settled in the Atlanta area.
I have a picture of the family crest which I can share with any of you who are interested
lauraleemcg

Post by lauraleemcg »

Is this board still active?