need help with some info on a surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jb100

need help with some info on a surname

Post by jb100 »

I am looking for any information on the surname Florio along with some others as well.

My great great great grandad was called Mattio Florio he lived in minori and married Dorina Ruma. Apparently he was the mayor of minori in the 1800's some time but I am not sure when.

He had a son called Carlo Mattio Florio who married Marianna Brondi they had 4 children one of which was called Vinchenzo Salvatori Florio my great grandad. They moved to england in the 1890's.

Any information on the Florio surname and these people especially would really help. I know there are still some florios living in minori as my aunt went back there and fond a shop there.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: need help with some info on a surname

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The names are probably spelled Matteo, Vincenzo and Salvatore. There are still Florios living in Minori. Here is a link.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... i&ind=&nc=

Here is the website of the town.
http://www.comune.minori.sa.it/home.php
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: need help with some info on a surname

Post by nazca »

Hi,
take a look on wikipedia searching for florio's family:
Florio is the surname of a prominent Sicilian family who started many lucrative activities involving above all the exportation of Sicilian products (such as Marsala wine) in the nineteenth century.

[edit] Florio winery
Founded in Marsala 1832 by Vincenzo Florio Sr., the Florio winery has been in continuous Marsala wine production since then.[1] The winery carries the emblem of a lion.

[edit] Motor racing
In 1906, Vincenzo Florio created the Targa Florio, one of the oldest car races in the world. The first Targa Florio covered 277 miles through multiple hairpin curves on treacherous mountain roads where severe changes in climate frequently occurred and racers even faced bandits. Passing through many small villages, fans lined up along the roads with no protection from the race cars. The race was suspended in 1978 because of safety concerns. The race continues today with a different circuit as a minor racing event.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).