researching Ferrara

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
deejasmine
Rookie
Rookie

researching Ferrara

Post by deejasmine »

Everyone was so much help when I researched my G-Grandparents - it was amazing!

I am now back to my G-Grandmother's siblings and am stuck.

She has a sister who I have been able to document with her family moving from NY to CT. But I can't find the brothers...

Vincenzo Ferrara - abt 1864
I can't find his manifest (his father and another brother arrived in NY in 1897; his mother and other brother arriving in 1898; sisters followed in 1899), located in 1900 census Pawling, NY with family and widowed mother. From Alemina, Italy - possibly earlier than father?

Giovanni Ferrara - abt 1872-1873, June
Arrived in NY: 14 Aug 1898 with his brother-in-law Michele Seminara, located him married in 1900 census Pawling, NY but am unable to read his wife and daughter's names. Arrived from Alemina via Naples.

Luigi Ferrara- abt 1881
Arrived in NY: 20 May 1897 with his mother Marie Genovese no census information at all. Arrived from Alemina via Naples.

If you can dig anything up on them with your expertise I would greatly appreciate it!

~Denise
misbris
Master
Master

Re: researching Ferrara

Post by misbris »

You didn't give the names of Vincenzo's family, so I am not sure if I am posting what you have already, but here are some interesting manifests,

1898 Ferrara manifest

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

1897manifest for Francesca Ferrara
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027

Hope it helps.
deejasmine
Rookie
Rookie

Re: researching Ferrara

Post by deejasmine »

The 1898 manifest is for Vincenzo's family - the other from 1897 is for his sister and her children (Ambrosini and Ferrara).

Vincenzo doesn't seem to have sailed with his family - on this manifest and I have a pattern of the men coming across and the women following anywhere from 6mnths to almost a year later. Assuming that pattern fits Vincenzo - he should be earlier than the 1898 manifest - yet he's not on the manifest when his father crosses in 1897 - I must be missing a manifest between those or he arrived prior to the 1897 sailing of his father.

Thank you for looking!!
Wish - Dream - Believe!