Dominick/Domenick/DiDomenico?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hollycat999

Dominick/Domenick/DiDomenico?

Post by hollycat999 »

Hi,

I am looking for information on my great-grandfather. I am having a hard time finding out his real name, though I have some ideas.

He went by John Dominick here in the states, sometimes it was spelled John Domenick. He died in New Castle Pennsylvania in May 1972

Through a draft card record on ancestry.com I found out my great-grandfather was born in Castiglione di Carovilli, Italy so that helped a lot in narrowing down what his actual name might have been. He was born on May 3 1881.

He went by "John Dominick" here in the US but his last name was probably DiDomenico and I haven't figured out a way to verify that, yet. Probably his first name was Gianni or Giovanni if he used "John" here, but again, I'm not sure. I found a Giovanni DiDomenico on the Ellis Island site, and it fits his age and approximate date of entry, but that person's destination was Buffalo, so I'm not sure if that was him or someone else, as he lived in New Castle PA. The cesus data says that John Dominick entered the US in either 1902 or 1903 depending upon which census you look at.

His wife was Irene Tesone (born July 4 1889) but I'm not sure of the spelling as I can't find any records on her at all. One of their sons, Carl Dominick, was my paternal grandfather.

Any help on figuring out John Dominick's real name, and/or linking him to Castiglione di Carovilli would be helpful.
thanks so much,
Laurie
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Dominick/Domenick/DiDomenico?

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Take a look at this thread. We have searched, searched and searched this name. I am sure that you will find helpfu info here.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... nicis.html
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Laurie!
Just for everyone's reference, the records you mentioned.
Valarie

1910 census
1918 WWI Card
1920 census
1920 pg 2
1930 census
1942 WWII Card

SSDI
Name: John Dominick
SSN: 172-09-xxxx
Last Residence: 16101 New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Born: 3 May 1881 Died: May 1972
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951 )
hollycat999

Post by hollycat999 »

Thank you so for the 1918 card - I had not found that one!

Regarding the thread on the 2nd message - I have looked through the 10 pages and it is not the same person - age, date of entry, family info, etc. does not match.
hollycat999

Post by hollycat999 »

Many thanks to the help I have received - this was one of the first sites I asked for help, a little over a month ago. I am now confident enough to start applying for documents to get the process started.

My birth hometown local librarian was also a big help - if you can contact one in the town where you think you need records, they might be able to help.

Through this library and referring me to the local historical society, I did find out that my paternal great-grandfather was indeed Giovanni di Domenico (I have a document now that has both the Italian and American names on it - it was not the Giovanni I'd mentioned earlier in this thread), and also I found out my great-grandmother's correct name, too, Pierina Tesone - up until then I was unable to find anything on her, so now I know which town she is from, too.
castiglione

Post by castiglione »

Hi Laurie,

My name is also GIOVANNI DI DOMENICO,i was also born in CASTIGLIONE DI CAROVILLI,PROV. COMPOBASSO NOW ISERNIA.

i now live in Toronto,Canada i still have relatives in Castglione.