Best Family Tree Makers??? Any ideas

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Best Family Tree Makers??? Any ideas

Post by carmine1917 »

What is the best program from Microsoft Office or website to build your family tree, so I can print it and add when I find out names and stuff? I do not want to use ancestry, since you have to pay so much every month.
TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Best Family Tree Makers??? Any ideas

Post by TonyDiNobile »

I have been using www.kindo.com
nazca3366

Post by nazca3366 »

I use Ancestral Quest. I really like it. Good luck
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I use Family Tee Maker 16 (which by the way doesn't work very well with Vista!) You have an option for 3 months to publish your tree online, after that you can create books and such and post them online yourself.

Its nice because it doesn't have a high learning curve either. I would love to get The Master Genealogist one but I think you almost need a degree to be able to use it!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I too have Family Tree Maker 16, but as Nuccia says, it does have some limitations now I have upgraded to MS Vista... trying to install the 'FTM/MS 'corrections' for this is nothing short of a nightmare - it doesn't seem to want to know.

Fortunately I've only just started trying it - and for that reason I did a bit of hunting too. I found this site which I'm sure is going to be helpful if I DO choose to change programme... it reviews most kinds of genealogy software!

>Genealogy Software Reviews<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

what about just doing it on ancestry? On another post, I think it was Esgee that said ancestry.com also is going to have ancestry.it. So it maybe good to pay for it and ancestry.com is also linked to a free website, I think.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The only thing I don't like about ancestry is that you have to pay to put YIUR information on line, and once your subscription runs out and you need to add to it, you have to Pay again to edit it.

Use a free program..its better. And another really good choice and free is google page creator. You need a gmail account to use it but you can create your own website, put your history online and do whatever else you want. Its a pretty good system and a great starter website.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Micheles...

There are programs and then there are websotes. One doesn't necessarily prevent the use of the other.

You need a genealogy program to organized and store data. You can access a program at the Family History LIbrary web site for free or order it from them for about $6: www.familysearch.org

It will get you started right away.

As for publishing your information on the Internet...you can probably post at rootsweb.com for free. You should be able to access for free as well.

My question to you about Ancestry was that while it may not be getting you somewhere today, it might tomorrow. I have heard over the years how expensive it is, how they hog the data, etc. The point I was attempting to make is that you eventually have to pay for information...in time or travel, to make copies, etc. Ancestry is but another vehicle to utilize if you don't mind paying for the access. I have had an account for years. And it does get a bit pricey...but it allows me to do from home a lot of research that I can then follow up on. It also lets me see the original documents on line.

So I think it is worth it. But that is a separate issue from posting your personal information on line. I wouldn't post my information on Genealogy.com because Family Tree Maker would produce their CD's from them and charge people to view them. So I went with rootsweb. Since I have always had Ancestry, I don't think about access or no access based upon an account. So that you have to decide for yourself.

But to begin with, do get a genealogy program before cancelling the account with Ancestry--if that is what you want to do. That way you can download your own tree and transfer it to your genealogy program...it will help prevent having to re-enter the info over again.

Good luck
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This page gives great tips, tricks and how to's for creating your
own pages:

http://www.cyndislist.com/construc.htm#Plan

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
jennci