english equivalent?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

english equivalent?

Post by dragoni »

while researching my paternal greatgrandmothers side of the family, i came across a given name that i have not seen before, and a rather odd one at that. in all of my searching i cannot locate any sort of history or english equivalent of the name. any information would be appreciated.

boezio gizzi, born circa 1772, civitella licinio, benevento.

tommaso
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: english equivalent?

Post by JohnArmellino »

How ironic! Last night, I also ran across what appeared to be the name Boezio (the handwriting was difficult to read) -- Boezio Sergnese, circa 1750, of Castropignano (CB). I checked a few "name" sites, as well as Google, but couldn't come up with anything. I did wonder if the name was actually Baggio. Now I wonder if I actually read it correctly.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I just did a google.it search and it returned a wikipedia.it source that read as follows:

Boezio è un nome proprio di persona italiano maschile (femminile).

So I guess that Boezio is actually an Italian name, although a very unusal one.
John Armellino
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Boezio is probably the Italian version of the Latin Boethius. Here is an interesting reference. Apparently it can be both a first name and a surname.

http://www2.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain ... ethius.htm
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

thanks for the replies. i guess it is one of those that does not translate into english. given the peculiarity of the name i rechecked the handwriting and at least in my relative's case it is boezio.
Barbarossa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Barbarossa »

It is Boezio, yes.

Boezio Sergnese c. 1751 married Francesca Silvestro (both of Castropignano)
Their daughter (the only child I've found that is LISTED ON MY FAMILY TREE) is Francesca who married my first cousin 7 times removed Pietro Caperchione. To that union, again I only have one found child - Maria Antonia Caperchione born Dec 3 1804 in Castro and died May 23 1862 there as well. That 2nd cousin to me, married another natural cousin of mine by name of Nunzio Iammatteo born Oct 29 1811 in Castro (no death record to report as yet).

The Caperchione cousin Pietro connects to my great grandparents Pietro Caperchione c. 1699 and Francesca Luciani c. 1699 who share the dual roles as both 7x and 8x great grandparents [ one of their other children, a great aunt to me is also a great grandmother by marriages in a separate line.

The Iammatteo cousin Nunzio connects to my 5x great grandparents Francesco Iammatteo b. 1709 d. Mar 26 1809, and his wife Marta di Petta (Petti) born 1742, d. Oct 3 1813 - to Marta I have both parents and grandparents identified.

My parental names (for reference) are Belvedere and Luciani - from Castropignano, i was born 1968.