great great grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sonya

Re: great great grandparents

Post by sonya » 23 Apr 2012, 11:29

Dear suanj

A little over a year ago, you kindly assisted my cousin (belmoro19) with some research which is the subject of this post. Please refer to previous information within the post.

We have now finally received some further information from the Comune di Olevano Sul'Tusciano and have some more names going back to the 1700's.

However, we are still missing some information and my cousin & I are hoping you may again be able to assist.

We understand from many sources now, that our Barba family originated in Ariano, Olevano Sul'Tusciano, in the province of Salerno, Italy.

We have now discovered that Carmine Barba c. 1880 (married to my great grandmother, Emanuela Costa) that you located information on, was the son of

CARMINE ANTONIO BARBA b. 1853.

We understand that Carmine Antonio Barba was married to

EVANGELISTA DI'CUNZOLO.

Are you able to determine where Evangelista was born? Also in Ariano?

Also, are you able to provide a list of all of the children born to Carmine Antonio Barba & Evangelista Di'Cunzolo?

By way of further information to assist you, we have also discovered that Carmine Antonio Barba was the son of

GIOVANNI BARBA (1821) and Giovanni was the son of

DOMENICO BARBA (1700's not sure of exact year)

Were Giovanni and Domenico also born in Ariano? If not, do you know where? Also, names of spouses and/or children if available?

Finally, if you are able to locate any information as to the birth places of Raffaela Rinaldi (the wife of Antonio Barba) and Emanuela Costa (wife of Carmine Barba Jnr) that would also be greatly appreciated.

My mother (Emanuela Barba) had been told when she was a young girl, that the family was descendant from the italian royal family. Any idea how we could find information out about this?

If you are not able to locate information on any of the above, my cousin and I would be extremely grateful if you could advise us as to the best way to continue our research.

Best Regards, and thank you

Sonya

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 24 Apr 2012, 11:40

sorry I cannot help abt your questions, because the replies can be found just by civil records of Olevano Sul Tusciano (Ariano is a hamlet of Olevano); no available resources are on line abt Olevano sul Tusciano...
regards,
suanj
The coward is one who pulls the stone and hides the hand.

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

sonya

Post by sonya » 24 Apr 2012, 13:16

Hello suanj,

Thank you so much, i do recall reading that in earlier posts now that you mention it, so thank you for coming back to me.

We very fortunately have a contact in the Comune di Olevano who has already provided us with some of the further information, so looks like we just have to wait for the remainder of the information from him. I was hoping there would be a shortcut in the process.

My mom's family actually originated in Ariano, and all the records I believe are held for Ariano at the Comune di Olevano.

Thank you very much for all of your assistance to date, much appreciated.

Regards,

Sonya

Kmelhuish

Post by Kmelhuish » 20 Aug 2012, 19:02

This post is very exciting. I think I may be another cousin.

The information I have comes from a note found in my grandmother's things.

There is small family tree written with Carmine Barba - Evangelista on the top with children
1. Carmine (with indication on 9 children)
2. Michelina Salicone (with child Umberto with child Aniello)
3. Ernesto (w child Ger???)
4. John (my great grandfather)
5. An----. (Andrea, I think)
6. Giacinto (Jerry)

According to my g-grandfather's naturalization records, he is also from Olverno Sul'Tusciano born June 10, 1887. He immigrated in 1905 and lived in Philadelphia as a barber.

I'd love verification that this sounds like the same family and would love any additional information.

Thanks!
Kate

chuckwahl

Post by chuckwahl » 12 May 2017, 17:03

My grand Mom was ANNA COSTA sister Emanueala Costa she married a barba from Olevano. I go all the the time to Italy.. I have been to the barba house and some moved to Australia.... Please connect I live in Delaware

cosmosalicone238

Post by cosmosalicone238 » 17 Feb 2019, 11:10

Hi! This is great! Michelina Barba (Salicone) is my 2nd Great Grand Mom. I am related to her through her son Aniello, who is my Great Grandfather. The entire family mentioned was born in Olevano. This is definitely the same family and it would be great if we could connect. I am still living in Italy, close by to Olevano, so I could easily visit the local cemetery to find some birth or death dates, and some more detailed info.

cosmosalicone238

Post by cosmosalicone238 » 17 Feb 2019, 11:24

With what you were saying about the Barba's being descendants of an Italian royal family, that isn't completely true. The Barba's were nobility, (sometimes considered royals) of Olevano, not of Italy. There is a possibility that they were related to Italian royalty, but that isn't at all proven. I'm really glad that I found some cousins of mine who are living in America. I hope we can find some more info on our relatives!
Thank You
-Cosmo S.

alexm

Post by alexm » 17 May 2019, 15:49

Hi all! I know it’s been a while since the original post but hoping that someone can still help us out. My great great grandmother was Elena Barba, and based on my Nonna remembering some of her siblings’ names and a picture we have of Antonio and Rafaela, I am fairly sure that my family is also related to those of you posting on here. Basically, my cousin and I are trying to figure out what happened to Elena, which has been somewhat of a mystery in my family for some time. I am pretty sure that her name is listed as “Helen” on these census reports because the ages matches up and on the 1920 one it shows her with married to John Neckoman with 8 month old son Frank Neckoman (My great great grandfather’s name was Giovanni and great grandfather’s name was Francesco). Our family name is Culmone which sounds similar and is possibly just an error (maybe even née. Culmone?)

The only thing we know about our great great grandmother is that she moved to Sicily ( where my great great grandfather Giovanni is from) from Philadelphia around 1920 because Giovanni wanted to move back to his family. According to my Nonna, they had 2 children, a girl who died young (possibly named Carmella) and my great grandfather Francesco. We have reason to believe that Giovanni may have been abusive. The only information that we have is that Elena has some kind of falling out with Giovanni’s family and wrote home to her parents and siblings to ask for money to return to Philadelphia. My Nonna heard that Rafaella gave the money to one of Elena’s sisters but she never sent it ( not sure if that this is true). When Giovanni’s family heard that she had tried to return home, they apparently kicked her out and she was never heard from again. My Nonna says that one of Elena’s brothers (she is not sure which one) came to Sicily to look for her when she never returned to Philadelphia, but Giovanni left town to avoid him. Elena’s brother apparently showed her picture to people at a hospital in Palermo (not sure which one or even if this is true) and she had been there but had since left.

This is all my family knows about Elena and I’m not even sure which parts are true. If anyone has any information on Elena that was passed down from your family members please let us know! We are trying to find out whether or not she survived and what happened to her. Thank you!

Alex

alexm

Post by alexm » 19 May 2019, 16:02

Hi all! I know it’s been a while since the original post but hoping that someone can still help us out. My great great grandmother was Elena Barba, and based on my Nonna remembering some of her siblings’ names and a picture we have of Antonio and Rafaella, I am fairly sure that my family is also related to those of you posting on here. Basically, my cousin and I are trying to figure out what happened to Elena, which has been somewhat of a mystery in my family for some time. I am pretty sure that her name is listed as “Helen” on these census reports because the ages matches up and on the 1920 one it shows her with married to John Neckoman with 8 month old son Frank Neckoman (My great great grandfather’s name was Giovanni and great grandfather’s name was Francesco). Our family name is Culmone which sounds similar and is possibly just an error (maybe even née. Culmone?)

The only thing we know about our great great grandmother is that she moved to Sicily ( where my great great grandfather Giovanni is from) from Philadelphia around 1920 because Giovanni wanted to move back to his family. According to my Nonna, they had 2 children, a girl who died young (possibly named Carmella) and my great grandfather Francesco. We have reason to believe that Giovani may have been abusive. The only information that we have is that Elena has some kind of falling out with Giovanni’s family and wrote home to her parents and siblings to ask for money to return to Philadelphia. My Nonna heard that Rafaella gave the money to one of Elena’s sisters but she never sent it ( not sure if that this is true). When Giovanni’s family heard that she had tried to return home, they apparently kicked her out and she was never heard from again. My Nonna says that one of Elena’s brothers (she is not sure which one) came to Sicily to look for her when she never returned to Philadelphia, but Giovanni left town to avoid him. Elena’s brother apparently showed her picture to people at a hospital in Palermo (not sure which one or even if this is true) and she had been there but had since left.

This is all my family knows about Elena and I’m not even sure which parts are true. If anyone has any information on Elena that was passed down from your family members please let us know! We are trying to figure out if she survived and what happened to her. Thank you!

Pictures of Elena, Tony, and Rafaela are attached!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 26 May 2019, 18:39

Hi,
I searched a bit, but the big difficulty, it is the John surname. Neckoman is no a italian surname, and I believe also a false surname.. I cannot find more than the 1920 census, and almost the WWI draft registration card must be and instead.. nothing… I believe that Neckoman is a false surname, I cannot find the marriage as a well the Birth of little Frank.
Moreover, to go in Italy, John, Helen and Frank needs to have the US passport for sure, because all US citizens.. I searched in the passport but no result. As a well no one John Neckoman in previous censuses… so we cannot know his real surname, because if the family went in Italy he need of a passport with his real surname, and in meantime, to find his parents on the censuses could be helpful to find the parent's italian place… but without the right surname it is a mystery.
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

alexm

Post by alexm » 27 May 2019, 18:27

Hi Suanj,
Giovanni’s surname was Culmone. I think Neckoman was an error. If you searched Culmone would you be able to find anything? Or even if you could give me the websites that you are searching on that would be great! We know that they went to Sicily from Philadelphia in the early 1920s. Elena’s name was probably Helen Culmone or Elena Culmone when she went missing in Sicily. Thank you for your help!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 28 May 2019, 09:13

Hello,
I searched with the surname Culmone, with various versions, but it is not null. To come to Italy, apart from the passport also of Helen and the child, it was necessary and it is necessary that their names were transcribed in the appropriate register of citizenship of the Italian town where they intended to reside.
Beetween New Jersey (Paissac county) and Pennsylvania (Pottsville,Schuylkill) the italian town of the Culmones in these States, were Delia,Caltanissetta, Sicily, IT and Alcamo, Trapani, Sicily, IT... The records are online and no results...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 28 May 2019, 09:20

I found this interesting record and I believe is the son of Helen Barba and John Culmone. NO one Culmone in Philadelphia in the censuses, but here resulting :
Nome:
Frank Culmone
Data di nascita:
6 Feb 1919
Luogo di nascita:
Philadelphia, Philadelphia County (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania, United States of America (Stati Uniti)
Data del decesso:
8 May 1996 (8 mag 1996)
Luogo del decesso:
Atlantic City, Atlantic County (Atlantic), New Jersey, United States of America (Stati Uniti)
Cimitero:
Holy Cross Cemetery and Chapel Mausoleum
Luogo di sepoltura o cremazione:
Mays Landing, Atlantic County (Atlantic), New Jersey, United States of America (Stati Uniti)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/96679862
and the age and birthplace MATCHING enough with 1920 census of Neckoman family

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1488411
he was 8 months old on 30th Jan 1920, so born around april/May 1919... this Frank born in february 1919 but in Philadelphia... and what is interesting that he had a son named Giovanni Culmone!
Let me know your suggestions!

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 28 May 2019, 09:34

Here the return back of Frank Culmone born on 1919 in Philadelphia, with son Giovanni (born on 1939 in Delia, Caltanissetta, Sicily, IT)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1923888

Giovanni Culmone
1939–1993
Nascita 4 OCTOBER 1939 • Delia, Caltanissetta, Sicilia, Italy
Decesso 15 JANUARY 1993 • Atlantic City, Atlantic, New Jersey, USA

let me know your suggestions,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

alexm

Post by alexm » 28 May 2019, 18:53

Yes, this is definitely my great grandfather, I know that he died in 1996. Giovanni was my Nonno and he died the year before I was born in 1993. My mom said that he visited the US when he was 8 with his father to see some friends or relatives but then went back to Delia. He moved to Atlantic City permanently after he married my Nonna about 10 years later. I think that Francesco (my great grandfather) tried to find out what happened to his mother but was not able to. His father apparently remarried and had more children.