Census

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
marbil

Census

Post by marbil »

Is there anything like our Federal Census in Italy. I would be interested in a census for the Potenza area from the years 1832-1900.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
marbil
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Census

Post by Squigy »

marbil wrote:Is there anything like our Federal Census in Italy. I would be interested in a census for the Potenza area from the years 1832-1900.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
marbil
These two are like USA Census:

Certificate of Family Status or Genealogy
Certificato dello Stato di Famiglia
If your ancestors left Italy after about 1880 and you know the name of the town in which they lived, you can write to the local Ufficio Anagrafe (Registry Office) and request a cerificato di stato di famiglia. This certificate, unique to Italy, records information on the entire family, rather than just an individual. It usually contains the name, relationship, and date and place of birth for each family member, often including family members who moved away or died. Some towns began keeping this record as early as 1869, but it wasn't in widespread use until after 1911.

Census Records
Censimenti
The first Italian census was taken in 1871, with new censuses taken each successive decade. The censuses taken from 1871-1901 are inconsistent from region to region, and usually only name the head of household, his/her occupation, and the number of people living in the household. Census records from 1911 on, however, list names, ages, occupations, birthplaces and relationships to the head of household for each resident. Census records from 1911 to 1991 are usually found in each comune's anagrafe (register office), and in the state archive of each province. Availability differs from comune to comune, and all census records may not be yet open to the public.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
marbil

Post by marbil »

Thanks for your quick reply. My great grandfather was the first to come over and he arrived 12/14/1880 with his father. Siblings came over one at a time. They lived in Ruoti. Would you know the address I would have to write to so I can get this information you spoke of? If there a fee? Do you know how much it is?

Thanks so much for your help.
marbil
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

marbil wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. My great grandfather was the first to come over and he arrived 12/14/1880 with his father. Siblings came over one at a time. They lived in Ruoti. Would you know the address I would have to write to so I can get this information you spoke of? If there a fee? Do you know how much it is?

Thanks so much for your help.

marbil
As I don't know much about Ufficio Anagrafe records, this may help you:

About this letter: It is addressed to the Anagrafe office in the town of particular interest to the researcher. This office is primarily concerned with records of the current populace, but also maintains records on households (similar to a census) in the historical sense. From this office, one can gain the Certificate of Residency (which is for people who currently live in the town. Do not request this for people who are dead or have moved elsewhere) and the Certificate of Family Status (which has vital data for an entire household, historically). The office is usually co-located with the Stato Civile office. Be advised, they are usually tremendously busy with the day to day operations of the office they are required to run. They are continually servicing the patrons who show up at the desk and have very little extra time to devote to honoring requests for information from abroad. If you do get a reply (usually not very timely for obvious reasons), be thankful for their time and effort--it was above and beyond their normal call of duty. I highly recommend sending NO PAYMENT until/unless they request it. Of all forms of payment, a cashiers check from a bank drafted in Euros is the BEST choice. Please allow a little extra in the amount to offset their cost in cashing it in. Of all forms of payment, a U.S. Postal Money Order is the WORST. It is extremely difficult and time consuming for them to get the money from the USPS. It takes months! They are more likely to give up and forget your request. Again, only send payment when specifically requested by the Anagrafe. With your letter, include a self-addressed, UNSTAMPED envelope. Also, please send ALL of your letters REGISTERED post.

It is from this website, http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... agrafe.asp

You can also use this to send a letter to the Ufficio Anagrafe. (If you don't speak Italian).
My Italian surnames:

marbil

Post by marbil »

You are such a wealth of information. I thank you so very much. I don't think you realize how much you help those of us who feel so "helpless" in the states.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

marbil
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

marbil wrote:You are such a wealth of information. I thank you so very much. I don't think you realize how much you help those of us who feel so "helpless" in the states.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

marbil
You're very welcome! That's so nice to hear :D

I live in the states too though. VA.
My Italian surnames:

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you wnat some insight into Italian bureaucracy check out my recently published book. Annoying the Saints - Stories of my life in Italy.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I love the title!! :lol:
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Thankyou, I love it too. You can read parts of the book at http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is the sequel to your book "How the Saints Annoy people" ? =Peter=
~Peter~
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Italysearcher wrote:Thankyou, I love it too. You can read parts of the book at http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Are you of Italian ancestry, ItalySearcher? Or did you marry an Italian? Just curious.
My Italian surnames:

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I am of English descent and married to an Italian from Sora. Our niece is the young singer Anna Tatangelo. Thanks for asking.
Ann Tatangelo