Christmas Eve Dinner

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Cavecreekmommy

Christmas Eve Dinner

Post by Cavecreekmommy »

Hi:

I remember growing up not being allowed to have meat on Christmas Eve since it was the Eve before a High Holy Day. My dad's side was Napolitan/Calabrian and my mom's side was Sicilian. My mom said Sicilian's ate meat on Christmas Eve and that it was a Napolitan thing. However, in reading, it seems that Sicilians have a 7 fish meal on Christmas Eve.

Can anyone share any Christmas Eve Dinner customs and traditions from Napoli, Calabria and Sicilia.
Thanks,
Bethany
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Christmas Eve Dinner

Post by misbris »

It is a Catholic observance. No meat and only one full meal a day before a holy day. Different areas of Italy ate different foods, based on what was available and what they could afford. Both sides of my family were from Campania (Benevento and Salerno provinces) and all ate fish of various kinds. Salted Cod (baccala) tuna, whiting, shrimp, clams etc. But never a 7 fish observance, even though I heard this from many other Italians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_seven_fishes

Supposedly there was papal permission to eat meat in Spain. Why, I don't know. This may have been carried to Sicily.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

This year I am doing the family Christmas Eve dinner. The menu will be:
Antipasto di mare
Spaghetti con vongole
Baccala (cold) with garlic, parsley and oil.
Mixed fried seafood (shrimp, calamari, etc)
Salmon in phyllo pastry
Roasted potatoes, broccoli and salad
Fresh fruit
Cheesecake (special request since I am the only non-Italian)
I guess there will be 7 kinds of fish if you consider the mixed fry)
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Save me a seat!! :lol:
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Save me a seat as well and I will bring the after midnight mass holiday meats such as veal, lamb,ham, sweetbreads, eels(?), spiedini, etc.=Peter=
~Peter~