Italian POWs during WWI

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Truglio

Italian POWs during WWI

Post by Truglio »

Does anyone know where I could look for records of Italian prisoners of war during World War I?? I am trying to find information about members of the Italian army who were taken prisoner during World War I by the Germans.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian POWs during WWI

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I am sure this is not the only answer to your question and perhaps not the best either, however the International Committee of the Red Cross will search its records for a fee of 200 Swiss Francs, about $172 at current exchange rates.

See http://www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives

and

http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.ns ... endocument
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mozzie »

I have searched far and wide for sites containing this information, to no avail. I appears that the ICRC sites are the only way to find information.

Be patient as getting even a simple reply takes months.

David
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

The complete list of soldiers who were POW's during WW1 is kept at Archivio Centrale dello Stato in Rome.
There are 80 thick books with the names of the soldiers
Those names are not on line, and the archivist says that if you need to find a name, you need to go page by page on 80 books
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Truglio wrote:Does anyone know where I could look for records of Italian prisoners of war during World War I?? I am trying to find information about members of the Italian army who were taken prisoner during World War I by the Germans.
djgraziano

Post by djgraziano »

I was at the Stato Cuivile Archives in Rome this month to find records of my grandfather who was taken prisoner by the Germans in WW1. There are over 50 volumes of records, not indexed or in any particular order. You have to go through each page. I went through about 10,000 pages before I found the record on my grandfather, but I found it. It was worth the effort.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

congratulations, I wish I will go there one day at Archivio Centrale dello Stato in Rome to find the WW1 POW record of my great uncle Vito Giacalone, ciao Riccardo :D
hard.xt0Ne

Post by hard.xt0Ne »

hi I am also trying to do this and get a some piece of Information.... :idea: :idea:
PowerPollon3

Post by PowerPollon3 »

Your posts are super interesting -- My grandfather Vittorio was a POW during WW1 -- to confirm, what information does the archive in Rome provide about each POW? Does it show where they were held, by whom (Germans or A-Hungarians), and where they were moved during their captivity? Anything else, like the date/location where they were captured? (Or does it just confirm they were POWs?)