Dish made with bread

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
margaretanne
Rookie
Rookie

Dish made with bread

Post by margaretanne »

Looking for a dish my grandmother used to make. It is mainly softened bread and it was called what phonetically sounds like "pungwhy." My grandmother was from the small town of Faeto near Foggia. Thank you.
jhscanio

Re: Dish made with bread

Post by jhscanio »

Can you provide any more information on what the dish is like? Sweet or savory, served hot or cold, was a side dish or eaten on its own, were there any other ingredients you can remember?
margetyanne

Post by margetyanne »

It was a savory,hot dish which I think was served as a side. The bread was very moist, almost mushy and had garlic in it. Thank you.
mainey

Post by mainey »

I would stay away from white bread. It's high in carbs. White bread is bad for me.
margaretanne wrote:Looking for a dish my grandmother used to make. It is mainly softened bread and it was called what phonetically sounds like "pungwhy." My grandmother was from the small town of Faeto near Foggia. Thank you.
Mike DeG

Post by Mike DeG »

My family is from Faeto also. I've eaten "pungwhy" since I was a child and have a recipe handed down from my grandmother. If you are still searching for this recipe I can send it to you. Please let me know. This was my father's favorite comfort food and we probably ate it once a week, especially on Fridays before we were allowed to eat meat.