Feudalism in Southern Italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
jllaf
Rookie
Rookie

Feudalism in Southern Italy

Post by jllaf »

In researching ancestors from the 1600's and 1700's in Southern Italy, I was surprised to learn that feudalism still existed there until 1806. In my own family's case, I learned that in the 1700's they lived in Santeramo, in Puglia, but that in the 1600's there were people with the same surname in Palagianello, a very small village at the time near Taranto. In researching the history of this small town, it was interesting to learn that the family that owned Santeramo in the 1600's through the end of feudalism in 1806 - the Cariocciolos, specifically, Giovanni Caracciolo, the Marquis of Santeramo, actually purchased the village of Palagianello in 1669. It would not be coincidental then for my ancestors to migrate from Palagianello to Santeramo in the 1700's. Is that common? As a peasant, would my ancestor have been "transferred" to work there, or gone on his own? Can you please provide some background surrounding feudal life in Southern Italy at this time? Many thanks, as always.

John LaFianza
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Feudalism in Southern Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

I HAVE ATTEMPTED TO RESPOND TO THIS INQUIRY ON TWO OCCASIONS AND BOTH RESPONSES HAVE BEEN ABORTED BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN MYSELF. (This is to establish a pattern of harassment) Petertimber
~Peter~
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

PeterTimber wrote:I HAVE ATTEMPTED TO RESPOND TO THIS INQUIRY ON TWO OCCASIONS AND BOTH RESPONSES HAVE BEEN ABORTED BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN MYSELF. (This is to establish a pattern of harassment) Petertimber
I have found that when you take to long to write your response, it fails when you try to submit it. Write out your responses in another document or at least copy them before you press submit, that way if they are lost you still have them.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I appreciate your reply but like good wine verbiage improves with time.
~Peter~
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm sorry about the deleted post - there seems to be a glitch in the system. I'm currently looking into this.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In addition to be a Super moderator your also a Super heroine.......Thank you very much Peter
~Peter~