Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!

Post by 113yearslater »

This is crazy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/nyreg ... twist.html

I'm sorry, but this woman is freaking 85. Leave her alone in her own home. If this stupid museum wants to reflect our culture, they aren't doing a good job of it by throwing an old woman born of Italian immigrants out of the home she's had for years. They should be ashamed of themselves.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Re: Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!

Post by TerraLavoro »

I so agree! What a shame.
TerraLavoro
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

Well, their Facebook page is quite the sight lately -- a solid wall of people telling them to show Mrs. Sarno some respect and stop bringing shame on our community. I hope they listen ...
CiaoBella1313
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CiaoBella1313 »

This is unbelievable...why would the Italian-American Museum do this?? I don't understand. This woman is like a treasure. I would think the museum would be interviewing her, honoring her, asking her about her memories growing up in Little Italy, etc.
CiaoBella1313
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CiaoBella1313 »

I found an online petition that you might want to sign. They are also evicting Il Palazzo, an Italian restaurant, that has been there for generations.

Can you believe that the restaurant owner's grandmother's picture hangs in the museum and the museum still wants to evict them along with Ms Sarno?!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/836/098/ ... expansion/
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

Signed the petition and have already shared the petition on my Facebook wall. I will post on the museum's Facebook page. This is just awful! The museum should be ashamed! I am also writing to/calling NY senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand and the local congressional representative. This must be fought!
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.