Andrea Gebbia aka Scaccia

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Mezzo8

Andrea Gebbia aka Scaccia

Post by Mezzo8 »

I wanted to know if anyone has any information on a Sicilian story regarding a person that goes by the name Andrea Gebbia, aka Scaccia, who lived during the 19th century. I beleive he was a doctor, magician, or local traditionalist. However, I can not find that much information on him. Has anyone heard of this local story?
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Andrea Gebbia aka Scaccia

Post by PippoM »

All that I could find is this:

https://ia600201.us.archive.org/24/item ... 17pitr.pdf

He is mentioned at page 52.
Do you need a translation?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Mezzo8

Post by Mezzo8 »

Yes, I am curious about a translation. But it does not look like it mentions where he is from, or any family? Is this a real person? Who was this person?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It is about a double truth, one by justice, and one by the people.
In Oct 1886 there was a trial in the Court of Palermo,
as a peasant from Mezzojuso, Ciro Spedalieri, had been beaten by another peasant, Andrea Gebbia, aka Scaccia, so heavily that he died. Ciro was believed to be possessed by spirits (he really had a terrible toothache), and Scaccia was held to be a magician who had the power to drive away spirits.
Scaccia was sentenced guilty by the Court, but people said it was not his fault that Ciro died, because he had done what had to be done, but the spirit was too strong.
Such magicians were called "Capurali (di li spirdi)" (Corporals of the spirits). Here, "caporale" is meant as someone who gives orders.

Mezzo8

Post by Mezzo8 »

Thank you for translating this. I appreciate it. Do you know if there is a resource or document from Mezzojuso to indicate if Andrea Gebbia (Scaccia) was married or had children? Or is this the only known account of him?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

There are 1867-1901 civil records for Mezzojuso online at Family Search:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2051639

As the trial took place in 1886, it is very likely that Andrea was born before 1867.
So, you might want look in the indexes for a marriage or death record, but you can't be sure it's the right one, unless it's the only one you find.