Carrying Palms For Safe Travel

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
demari18
Elite
Elite

Carrying Palms For Safe Travel

Post by demari18 »

My Italian mother in law always gave us a palm that had been blessed on Palm Sunday to carry when we traveled to keep us safe. Has anyone heard of that superstition? I am wondering if it is something done in Italy or if it is something she just did? Thank you!
DeMari
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Carrying Palms For Safe Travel

Post by liviomoreno »

Never heard
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I've read that, in some cultures, miners carry blessed palms with them into the mines to keep them safe, and that some keep blessed palms in their homes to protect them against storms. Can't find anything specific to travel and to the Italian culture though.When I was a kid, we used to put the blessed palms under our mattresses, but I was too young to inquire about the reason and honestly have not researched this further. A Saint Christopher's medal in a car though was always believed by my family to keep one safe when driving, as St Christopher was the patron saint of travelers.

Erudita
demari18
Elite
Elite

Post by demari18 »

Thank you for the information. Still planning to carry my palm as it has worked so far!!!!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

In Italy on Palm Sunday, palms are not blessed and distributed. Only Olive branches are blessed and distributed.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

jennabet wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 22:19 In Italy on Palm Sunday, palms are not blessed and distributed. Only Olive branches are blessed and distributed.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
demari18
Elite
Elite

Post by demari18 »

Thank you for that information. I appreciate your help! DeMari