convent school for young women 1900-1910 abruzzo, italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
GeneTree

convent school for young women 1900-1910 abruzzo, italy

Post by GeneTree » 16 Dec 2018, 04:51

I have been searching this topic on Google and elsewhere with very little luck. My wife's paternal grandmother was born and grew up in Citta Sant'Angelo, Pescara. She told her daughters she attended a convent school near this area. She married 22 Jan 1911 and was born 30 May 1892. Her husband was born 10 Apr 1879 so was quite older. Her marriage was arranged and she told her children she didn't want to marry and leave Italy. As soon as she was married she emigrated with her husband back to Pittsburgh, PA and died there in 1972 having eight children from 1912 to 1926. She remained Roman Catholic in Pittsburgh but several of her married boys and their children became Presbyterian.

Does anyone have information about convent schools for young girls at this early time in Italy? What would they have been taught? I found an online article about Convents in Early Modern Europe that said girls attended convent school to wait for marriage or become a nun. I am hoping to find a little more detail about life in convent school for young girls.

Thanks for your help.

GeneTree