Mamadon for grandmother

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
tmsetteitalian1954

Mamadon for grandmother

Post by tmsetteitalian1954 » 31 Jan 2019, 06:13

Has anyone heard of the term, Mamadon, used for grandmother? This is an affectionate term that my uncles and my father called their grandmother. Is it spelled differently?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Mamadon for grandmother

Post by suanj » 04 Jun 2019, 18:43

You sure that the word was mamadon and no mamanonn… ??
in South Italy, in old time, I remember when I was a girl, to say "papanonn" and "mamanonn".. in the old time, these words, dialectal words, were used to say ggfather and ggmother, and later they were used to call, affectionately and jokingly a person in old age….
I never heard mamadon… just papanonn and mamanonn…
Best,
suanj
Sabino: Envy is the flattery most flattering
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tmsetteitalian1954

Post by tmsetteitalian1954 » 13 Jun 2019, 19:39

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like my father may have mispronounced the term or perhaps I recall it wrong after so many years. She died in the 1950s and all her children and 99 percent of her grandchildren have passed. Mammanonn makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 14 Jun 2019, 08:23

When I asked my mother the meaning of these two words, she told me that in ancient times, families lived together, ie great-grandparents if alives and grandparents and parents and children and grandchildren. All in same house or farm. And a son called his father "papà = dad" and out of respect his grandfather called him "papanonn (papà+nonno= dad+ grandfather)" because he was a grandfather but he was also like a father ....
happy to help you!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tmsetteitalian1954

Post by tmsetteitalian1954 » 14 Jun 2019, 14:00

Is your interest in genealogy a hobby or do you have a professional interest in this? It's a hobby for me.

I noticed your post name as SUA NJ. I'm from NJ and just wonder if by case we are in the same state?

Ciao

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj » 14 Jun 2019, 18:35

Hi,
abt the genealogy, it is essentially a hobby.
My nickname has no meaning, they are only 5 letters that make up suanj, I was looking for one that didn't exist and I composed this. by now it is from the year 2000 that I use it on various forums. Then someone also copied it but it was my creation at the beginning. It means nothing, it has no meaning, it has only a sweet sound if pronounced in Italian language.
I am Italian and I live in Italy.
Ciao!
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH