Carlo Alberto di Savoia

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
simsamsim

Carlo Alberto di Savoia

Post by simsamsim »

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am researching an English ancestor John Monk who spent a lot of time in Italy between 1814 and 1837. He was in the Royal Navy and in Genoa in 1814 when French rule ended. Many years later, a nephew gave a speech about his life and said the following, which I can't make sense of:

"On his discharge on half pay in 1816, he joined the Italian patriots and fought under Charles Albert in the war of Independence."

It could have been any time between 1817 and 1823. Do you have any ideas about what this might relate to? I've seen the following two things in this period -
In March 1821, Charles Albert initially supported a rebellion, but then withdrew support.
In May 1823 Charles Albert sailed on the Sardinian frigate Commercio from Livorno to Marseilles.

I would be grateful for any thoughts!
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Carlo Alberto di Savoia

Post by PippoM »

In 1823 Charles Albert sailed to France, and then to Spain, to fight AGAINST the revolutionaries who had imprisoned the King of Spain. So, I'd say it was in 1821, when there was a revolt in Turin, that Carlo Alberto supported, at first (then, the return of the legitimate king, Carlo Felice, put him in a bad situation).
I'd also say that it is not exact to say "patriots", and "War of Independence".
The first war of Independence took place in 1848/9 (Charles Albert had an important role in it)
"Patriots" is not accurate, as, at that time, they were not fighting to make Italy one Nation, but to obtain constitutional warranties against absolute sovereigns.

I also sent you a PM
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.