Napoleonic Wars 1806-15

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
virgiliognech

Napoleonic Wars 1806-15

Post by virgiliognech »

Hello, I have a death certificate of an ancestor who died circa 1814. Who do I contact to get information on him, ei., his parents. I know where he was born but in the announcement they only mention his compatriots as being present at his death as witnesses. Is there an Italian military liaison or organization that could point me in the right direction? All other sites do not have any info including paid subscriptions to Ancestry, MyHeritage etc...
Virgilio Gnech
Toronto Canada
domenico54

Re: Napoleonic Wars 1806-15

Post by domenico54 »

Hello I 'm in the same case, I would interest to if you have any information's
Many thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post an image of the death certificate?

T.
virgiliognech

Post by virgiliognech »

domenico54 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 13:04 Hello I 'm in the same case, I would interest to if you have any information's
Many thanks
I have tried many sites but nothing. The Italians can be very good at keeping records. The problem is accessing them.
virgiliognech

Post by virgiliognech »

Second attempt I hope this works I may have used the wrong words it is a NOTICE not a certificate. My badIt will be the first person on top Gnech Giorgio.
Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Gnech Giorgio Death Notice SOLDIER 1812.jpg
virgiliognech

Post by virgiliognech »

Ago
ain my mistake it is the second person.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Very interesting
It is a transcription, made by the official of the Comune of Agordo (Belluno Province, in Veneto) of a death record of the Comune of Chioggia (near Venice)
January 18, 1812 the official of Chioggia goes to the military hospital and declares the death of Giorgio Gnech, First Company, Third Battalion, Fourth Regiment of “infanteria legiera Italiana”
No cause of death, no age, and no parents given. The witnesses, all living in Chioggia and apparently not members of the military, declare that he was born in Agordo.
I suppose that this is the reason why the record was sent to Agordo, where it was registered on February 17 of the same year
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

And this is the link to the original record in Chioggia. Better handwriting and some added info
Giorgio (here called Gnechi) died the same day, January 18
The witnesses were both cobblers, and illetterate
They said that they "had heard" "da quant'intesero" that Giorgio was born in Agordo
Between Infanteria leggiera and italiano there is a comma, so he was an Italian, soldier (Cacciatore) in the Infanteria leggera

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html
continuo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by continuo »

Very interesting indeed.

It sounds as if your ancestor might have died at L'Ospedale Santa Croce di Chioggia, a military hospital that existed in the time of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy. It's notable because a typhus epidemic starts at that hospital around February 1812, just a few weeks after this man's passing. The epidemic is blamed upon an influx of draft evaders (amnestied) and prisoners that were conscripted into the 4th RI leggero (as a note of context, that Kingdom of Italy was a French client state so there was significant popular resistance to conscription in the service of the Napoleonic regime and people were sent to prison for that very reason).

I read this in a book called Storia Militare del Regno Italico (1802-1814) (Vol I TOMO I) by Virgilio Ilari. The relevant information is on page 302.
virgiliognech

Post by virgiliognech »

Thank you for your interest. I find your answer very interesting and I will try to research this topic further as it deserves more investigation. Is there any records of the Napoleonic conscription? Again thank you for your time.
virgiliognech

Post by virgiliognech »

paola52 wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 20:10 And this is the link to the original record in Chioggia. Better handwriting and some added info
Giorgio (here called Gnechi) died the same day, January 18
The witnesses were both cobblers, and illetterate
They said that they "had heard" "da quant'intesero" that Giorgio was born in Agordo
Between Infanteria leggiera and italiano there is a comma, so he was an Italian, soldier (Cacciatore) in the Infanteria leggera

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html
Thank you Paola. Where did you find that page? I thought I exhausted my search of this wonderfully informative site. Again thank your your time.
Virgilio
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Archivio di Stato di Venezia, Chioggia. He did not die in the military hospital but in the city hospital
P.
continuo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by continuo »

I don't understand. Both records say "in quest'ospedale militare".
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Sorry
My mistake
I got mixed with another record :oops:
P.