Scala Coeli

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Scala Coeli

Post by wisemonkey »

Looking to reach those with ties to Scala Coeli, Cosenza, Calabria. My family name is Ricci.

By 1910 all members of the family immigrated to Livingston, Montana and worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad.

However, grandmother, maiden name Francesca Bottino still had a brother living in Scala Coeli and a sister Marta Defino or Delfino who immigrated to South America. I can recall them sending packages back to Italy but cannot locate any relatives at all which seems odd to me.

By the way, am wondering what they did with their homes when they left Italy? Did they sell them or just leave?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Scala Coeli

Post by misbris »

Hi,
If you are looking for the possibility of family still in Scala Coeli, there is one Bottino listed in the phone book.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... i&ind=&nc=

The FHC has the civil records for Scala Coeli. Here is the link.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Your next question I can only answer with my own family as an example. There were many children and only one house. Those who went to make their future in America left their parents. The home passed into the hands of the children who remained in Italy.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

I did try contacting the Bottino in the phone book and sadly did not receive a reply. I even sent a picture of my grandmother.

At present, I am waiting for the FHC records on microfiche. Someone there mentioned to me that sometimes living relatives do not want to be contacted because they think that you are contacting them to claim property which never occurred to me. All I really want is to find out where I come and what happened before they got here. In other words, you can't know where you are going unless you know where you've been.

I have always been fascinated by the "old country."
tman1970

Post by tman1970 »

My family also traces back to scala coeli and includes my great grandfather Giuseppe Defino and his wife Leotina Perri. If you'd like to share more info, let me know.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is an adminstrative and tourist website combined for SCALA COELI at www.tuttitaliua.it/calabria/79-scala-coeli. The municipio address is the address for the Ufficio di Stato Civile where you can request documents free of charge (usually). The url for the town tourist aspects are inthe www under the town shield. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:There is an adminstrative and tourist website combined for SCALA COELI at www.tuttitaliua.it/calabria/79-scala-coeli. The municipio address is the address for the Ufficio di Stato Civile where you can request documents free of charge (usually). The url for the town tourist aspects are inthe www under the town shield. =Peter=
The working link is http://www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/84-scala-coeli/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There is a single "De Fino" listing in Scala Coeli. See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... Coeli&ind=
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Do you have a birthdate/year for Francesca Bottino?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)