Carlo Pisacane

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Lois

Carlo Pisacane

Post by Lois »

I am looking for information on the family of Carlo Pisacane, the Italian revolutionary. I know that he was, until he renounced the title, Duke of San Giovanni, and his parents were Gennaro and Nicoletta Basile de Luna. Did he have brothers and sisters; did he have children? Is there a genealogy somewhere for his ancestry and descent?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Carlo Pisacane

Post by PeterTimber »

I amnot familiar with reference works to Pisacane (patriot not the actor) and his personal biography but I do know that his second fdaughter Silvia Pisacane was involved with the Matese Anarchist Insurrection in 1877. Perhaps further research would unveil his total biography. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lois it may save time if you contact a very well known antiquarian book dealer that I have used successfully inthe past. The name is Arnaldo Forni Editore, e-mail info@fornieditore.com. His website is www.fornieditore.com. His store is in Bologna, Italy.=Peter=
Lois

Post by Lois »

Thanks very much, Peter, for your suggestion. I will attempt to get in touch with this dealer.

Best regards,

Lois
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Lois

I don't know if you've seen this or not - he was born August 22, 1818 and died June 28, 1857 (he was young).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Pisacane

Edit.......posted incorrect info about films
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Lois

Post by Lois »

Thanks, Elizabeth. Yes, I have seen the wikipedia entry, as well as a couple of others, but none has yielded any more informat6ion about his family, either ancestors or descendants. I'm still working on it.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lois if there is a record for Carlo Pisacane's biography it sure is elusive. If and when you find one or even parts of one biography beyond his second daughter, please let me know. =Peter=
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

name: Pisacane, Carlo

pronunciation: [pisakahnay]

sex: male

lived: (1818–57)

biography: Italian patriot and writer, born in Naples, Campania, SW Italy. A former officer in the Bourbon army, he was a volunteer in the 1st Italian Independence War (1848) and took part in the Roman Republic's defence. Considering the failure of the 1848 revolution, he advocated a more democratic and libertarian approach to the social question, which would increase popular participation in revolutionary risings. His name has become synonymous with the Sapri expedition in 1857 when, with others, he took control of the mail ship Cagliari, freed 300 political prisoners from Ponza, and landed at Sapri. But the local population did not rise up as hoped and, instead, spurred by the clergy and reactionaries, attacked and slaughtered Pisacane and his men.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

If you can read Italian, check out www.baiaweb.it/vita_pisacane.htm
It has an outline of his life. It appears that he had one daughter that died at 3 months and then Silvia who was killed later. It appears that she was young and did not mention any children of hers.
I have found that it is better to use an Italian search engine like virgilio.it for Italian history or news.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Silvia must have been the second daughter's name. Thanks =Peter=
simcar

Post by simcar »

Hello - I just read your post (about a year late! ) asking for information regarding Carlo Pisacane and his descendants. I have some information on his living descendants if you are still interested. Please let me know if you are and I will be happy to pass on the information that I have.

Regards
simcar
findfamily

Post by findfamily »

Hi
I would like information on the living desendents of Carlo Pisacane. I was told by my grandparents that he was a cousin. This was told to me in the 1970's so he must be my 5th,6th....cousin.
Thanks
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi Lois
I have only just found this website thus my late reply. My wifes great great grandmother was Maria Cecilia Salzano de Luna. When she married a Folliero the two names were combined to produce a surname of Folliero de Luna in the next generation. Maria Cecilia's parents (and her husband) were members of the Bourbon Court in Naples, where your family also originate. It would not suprise me if there is a link going back to the Salzano de Luna family, but with your branch marrying a Basile whilst mine married a Folliero. Maria Cecilia was born in 1793 which sounds like the same era as Gennaro and Nicoletta. The above is pure speculation but if you are interested in checking Maria Cecilia's tree for overlap/leads it is in two places. First try www.mizzi.ch/FamilyTree%20De%20Luna.htm and also http://www.genmarenostrum.com/pagine-le ... lliero.htm. If you find you have an interst in this link I will be happy to supply what info I have - they were an interesting family, the Neopolitan equivalents of Germaine Greer and the sisterhood!