Coral Jewelry Making Business in Italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Coral Jewelry Making Business in Italy

Post by poliquie » 18 Nov 2017, 11:35

I am trying to find out information about Italian business(es) from the late 1800s early 1900s in Torre Del Greco, Napoli, Italy.

My great grandfather's family the Mazzas, had a deep sea diving business where they owned a fleet of ships to dive for Coral and Conch shells. They used the coral/shells to make jewelry and then sold them in their jewelry business. My great grandfather was Florindo Mazza, and his father was Leonardo Mazza (not sure if Leonardo was his full name or part of a lengthy name) Leonardo expanded the family business first to Africa then he sent Florindo to America to establish the business there in Manhattan.

I am trying to find some family history, and the records for birth/death are not online, so I thought maybe there would be a place to search out the family business?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Coral Jewelry Making Business in Italy

Post by Tessa78 » 18 Nov 2017, 16:21

You might try this book...

The Sciacca mystery. A history of coral of times gone by Hardcover – 2012
by Giuseppe. Rajola (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Sciacca-mistery- ... dpSrc=srch

This is an interesting story of the Liverino family coral business in Torre del Greco which began in 1894.
http://www.storeliverino.com/en/our-history.html

From this website on the manufacturing of coral in Naples. You might want to contact the Museum [Galleria Umbertio I] to inquire about early businesses.
In Naples, tourists can experience the history of coral visiting the Coral and Cameos Jewellery Museum in Naples inside the Galleria Umberto I. The collections retrace the history of coral processing, by displaying original documents and the most brilliant creations of Torre del Greco from the 19th century to the modern and contemporary times.
http://www.napoliartigianatoartistico.c ... l-corallo/

Perhaps this history of Torre del Greco contains some information.
First published in 1890, and I believe the last reprint in 1977.
It is written in Italian and is available digitally...
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

Did the business have a name in Manhattan?

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 » 18 Nov 2017, 18:35

Wonderful sites!

From the third post above (a translation of an excerpt from the last paragraph)
They boast the descendants of one of the greatest coral historians of Torre del Greco, Bartolomeo Mazza, among the founders of the Banca di Credito Popolare. Crescenzo's father, Eugenio, was one of the 10 sons of illustrious Bartholomeo, one of the first coral industrialists. He was born in Torre del Greco in 1858: his father, Crescenzo, was awarded Napoleon III of the silver medal to the valor of the Navy for saving a large French steamer who, without his help, would break into the shores of the 'Algeria. Bartholomeo took care of fishing and coral production, traveling to Algeria, Africa, Sardinia and Sicily until the opening of his own coral industry, inherited by numerous descendants scattered between Torre del Greco and America.
T.

poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie » 21 Nov 2017, 07:43

For some reason I cant access any sites with ".it" Does anyone else have that problem?

I did read about Bartolomeo Mazza and wondered if there was a family connection.

As shared, I just know that Florindo' father was named Leonardo, but this was what was listed on his marriage licence to my great grandmother Maria (Genchi) Mazza. My great grandfather died in 1934, so my dad never knew his grandfather. The information about the family business came from my grand-fathers account. Also a cousin of my grandfather remembered that Florindo had a Cousin named Chrisenzo Mazza ( I think its supposed to be Crescenzo, but that is how he spelled it in his letter) whose wife was named Anna, he also said that there was a cousin Antonio Mazza also married to Anna who was a partner in Leonardo' Jewelry Business.

The Crescenzo could be a son/grandson of Bartolomeo Mazza

As for a business name- the family letters mention a business called Magtolini Company located at 49 Maiden Lane 11th floor in NY, NY. I have googled that name and I am not sure that is the correct business name, as it seems that may be a different company.

I also have a patent that was produced for a hand bag handle, and my grandfather mentioned that his father also expanded his business from jewelry to woman' pocketbooks. The patent states that the company name was The Art Hand-Bag Frame Co composed of Florindo Mazza and Charles Mazza

https://books.google.com/books?id=Qz81A ... nt&f=false

Since I live a few hours from NYC, I am planning on taking a trip to search the NYC public library databases, and see if I can search out the businesses....

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 » 21 Nov 2017, 15:26

Here is a newspaper listing (in The Evening Post, New York, 25 June1918) for Commercial Leasings. (Third column about half the way down)
It is about the commercial leasing of space in 102-104 Fulton St. to Crescenzo and Florindo Mazza.

http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/hi ... Page=false

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 » 21 Nov 2017, 16:47

Perhaps you have already seen this...

In this 1912/1913 New York City Directory (the image is very blurry) there are listings for several Mazza in the coral business:

Mazza:
- B fu C (firm of) coral 68 Nassau 921
- Carlo jeweler h224 E 116th
- Crescenzo coral 49 Maiden la R902 h Italy
- Florindo coral 49 Maiden la R902 h411 Lindwood
- Louis coral 68 Nassau 921 h444 43rd Bkn
- C & F coral 49 Maiden la R902

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/ite ... 6/mode/1up

T.

poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie » 22 Nov 2017, 07:26

No Tessa, I hadnt seen either of these. How did you find them? I am fairly new to the genealogy research, and still figuring out how to uncover info...

poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie » 22 Nov 2017, 07:29

Carlo Mazza, is likely the Charles aka Carlo Mazza that is listed on the patent records. In Charles' draft registration it states he is Charles, Carlo, Mazza

poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie » 22 Nov 2017, 07:29

I am still trying to find the connection back to Italy, and possibly find some family connections! It has been tough.

poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie » 01 Jun 2019, 11:31

Updated post....

I have continued my genealogy journey, and recently visited Italy! :D It was an amazing trip, and I even got to meet Pippo.... He was very kind to give me a tour of Rome...

I met with an archivist, and discovered that the Bartolomeo Mazza shared by others in this post, was actually my Great grandfather Florindo' uncle... He was the youngest brother of his father Leonardo Mazza, married to Raffaela Ferro...This was exciting news to me, and led to lots of family members adding to my tree. Bartolomeo and his wife had 13 children, 10 of which were sons....

Thanks for your help in discovering more of my family history.

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM » 12 Jun 2019, 16:00

poliquie wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 11:31

I have continued my genealogy journey, and recently visited Italy! :D It was an amazing trip, and I even got to meet Pippo.... He was very kind to give me a tour of Rome...
I'm back from my holidays, and, though so late, I want to tell you that I was very glad to know you! :)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.