Pottery Makers

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
furmato

Pottery Makers

Post by furmato » 05 Oct 2017, 01:33

Does anyone have Italian pottery makers in their lineage?

MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Pottery Makers

Post by MaryMena » 13 Oct 2017, 00:56

Yes, I had a ggg-grandfather (b. c1778) and his son, my gg-grandfather(b.1794), who were potters. They produced the everyday, utilitarian type of pottery. They were from Reggio Calabria.

MaryMena

jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jecullen3 » 25 Oct 2017, 22:16

Many of the members of my family tree from my Father's side (Nasca) were "stazzonaro." They lived in Palermo, Sicily.
They were artisans who worked with clay to make earthenware (it is a dialectal word) This is a link to an article about this old tradition:
http://palermo.repubblica.it/cronaca/20 ... 3575130/1/

furmato

Post by furmato » 02 Nov 2019, 14:16

I'm asking because it's always been assumed in my family "Furmato/Formato" that we stemmed from metal workers, like the root of fer... but I've wondered if our southern Italian roots were more likely pottery. If the region was influenced by Spanish Aragon people then the formato word could have came from there.

mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno » 02 Nov 2019, 16:59

https://www.ganino.com/cognomi_italiani_f

FORMATI
FORMATO
Formato è tipicamente campano, con un ceppo anche a Roma e nel latinense, Formati, molto più rara, è dell'area casertano, napoletana, dovrebbero derivare dal nome medioevale italiano Formatus di cui abbiamo un esempio nel 1109 a Benevento come possiamo leggere nel Chronicon Beneventanum: "...Anno millesimo centesimo nono, tertiae indictionis. Obiit Formatus, Pascha accidit septimo kalendas Maias, et secundo die intrante mensis Novembris combustus est thesaurus Sanctae Mariae. ..".