received response to military inquiry

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

received response to military inquiry

Post by warriorrabbit »

I received this from the Archivio di Stato in Messina today. Yay!

I need some help composing a reply to their request that I ask again by letter. (When I sent the initial email, I just ran my request through Babelfish, explained that I did that, and asked their forgiveness for grammatical errors.)

I would like to include a 'per your request,' as I intend to print out and enclose the email they sent me for reference (so whoever opens the letter will understand what's going on).

I would also like to thank them for their effort, as I saw 'laborious research' in there.

Lastly, any suggestion as to how to send the 5 euros? Should I physically include 5 euros in the envelope?

Gentile Sig.ra Houle,
nonostante ci abbia fornito notizie piuttosto incerte sul suo bisnonno, questo Istituto, dopo lunghe e laboriose ricerche nei fondi Leva e Ruoli Matricolari di Messina e provincia, ha rintracciato l'esito di leva di Ferlazzo Celestino.
Si comunica, però che non è possibile inviarle fotocopia del documento ma una copia dattiloscritta, legale a tutti gli effetti di legge, in quanto il registro in cui si trova il documento è in pessime condizioni di conservazione. La invito, pertanto, ad inviarci una richiesta per lettera con l'esatto indirizzo presso cui desidera ricevere la copia, accludendo la somma euro 5.00 per le relative spese.

Il Ricercatore: Salvatore Casablanca
P. Il Direttore: Dott.ssa Eleonora Della Valle

This is awesome. I sent the request June 25, too. My mother was shocked that I got a reply so quickly. I'm shocked that they only want 5 euros.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: received response to military inquiry

Post by warriorrabbit »

I used a bad Babelfish translation, apologized for errors, stuck a 5 euro note inside the letter, and mailed it certified. Thanks.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Warrior: I by no means speak more than beginner's Italian, but I wanted to make sure that you understood that they can not send you a photocopy becaue the original is in a bad condition and they need to take precautions to conserve it so they will send you a type written copy.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Hi, yes. My mother reads and speaks Italian, but writing it isn't her forte. But I understood what they were asking for.

I kind of guessed beforehand that they must be in terrible shape, because the Mormons' microfilms of the levas skipped from 1872 to 1876, which of course were the years I needed.

I rather clumsily asked for "una copia dattiloscritta di leva di Celestino Ferlazzo," but I enclosed my initial request and their response along with the letter so it should be clear what I'm inquiring after. Also, I don't know how many requests they get or how big an office it is, but in case the person who did the research isn't the person who gets the letter, they could follow along.

I just hope the 5 euros makes cash makes it to the right person.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Good luck! I got an e-mail response for military records within 2 weeks of my request and then I would say 2 weeks to a month after I sent them my mailing address, I got the records. Luckily, for my archives; Reggio Calabria and also Benevento, neither asked for payment.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

I still haven't received the military papers from the Archivio di Stato, although someone signed for the letter with the 5 euros on July 16.

I realize Italy shuts down during the summer, esp. government offices, but I'm beginning to become concerned.

I wonder how long I should give them before I take another gamble and stupidly send cash in the mail again. I thought sending it certified return receipt, creating a paper trail, would sort of...take care of things.

How long should I give them before trying again? Any ideas?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

6-8 weeks it is Feria Agosto and could extend to 10 weeks. =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Most state offices are staffed by a 'skeleton crew' in August, so their workload is mainly taken by 'live' requests (walk-ins) during this period. The backlog of non urgent work would be dealt with once the August holiday is over.

Feragosto is only one day - 15th August, and that is the one day when everything is closed exept vital service industries.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It is meant for vacation time in Italy for the month of August which used to be the sole month when Italy closed down and now extends beyond the Feria agosto which is the term for the entire month. Perhaps they do no tuse that phrase anymore for the entire moenth of August? Can anyone elaborate? =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Peter, the Feria agosto that you mention would no doubt be what remains from the old Roman celebrations in August known as the Feriae Augusti...

Though I must confess that in all my years living here I have never heard that particular term used. It would be interesting to know your source as, search as I might, I couldn't find it anywhere!

But this link >HERE< covers both the ancient pagan festival AND the modern day Ferragosto (or Feragosto) which is ONE day, but which often falls in the middle of many people's ferie in Agosto (holidays in August)...

Of course there is the1946 opera by Cesare Pavese - 'Feria d'agosto' - but I'm sure that isn't what you refer to.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Back in the 60's and 70'swhen life in Italy was real, the month of August was always referred to by the average personin Italy as the Feria Agosto meaning that everything in Italy closed down for the month of August. iIts meaning was not what you technically describe but a popular description for vacation time in Italy and nothing more. =Peter=
Michi

Post by Michi »

Never listen about Feria Agosto in Italy.. Maybe ferie d'agosto, or ferragosto that is august the 15th (and holiday), but Feria Agosto in italian no exist..
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Michi If I knew I was going to be held to such high standards of spelling then I would immediately, if not sooner, put in the words right after feria agosto (P H O N E T I C=F O N E T I C O) so that you would not become so upset by my poor spelling of the word FERRAGOSTO=August holiday; usually that of 1 of August which appears in my Italian Dictionary. Part 1 Italian-English and Part 2 English-Italian. 415 pages.

By the way is Michi a proper first name or is it a nickname ?(soprannome in case you do not know what nickname means in english). =Peter=
Michi

Post by Michi »

Dear Peter,
I have misunderstood that "feria agosto" was the phonetic version.. And i am not upset, certainly.. Just i am looking to help..
By the way, my italian dictionary (Devoto-Oli, Vocabolario della lingua italiana, 2008, 3216 pages) defines "ferragosto": festività che ricorre in agosto: in origine il primo giorno del mese, in seguito il quindicesimo [...].
However is since the VI century that is celebrated the 15th.
Excuse me if the tone of my first post was unpleasant, is just that i'm not very good to write in english!!
P.S. Michi is a diminutive of Michele (i know what's a nickname, is international used!!).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Michele your comments were not offensive but seemed "piccino" and unecessary. People do not know who you are, how old your are, whether you are a male or female, why you choose one word or another and it is easy to make things go from bad to worse.

Nevertheless we welcome you to the forum with open arms and we are here to help not "rompere............i". =Peter=